Friday, February 18, 2011

Ferry to Vermont


ferry 2011 001
Originally uploaded by woodsrun
To get to Burlington, where lots of us do lots of things (me, mostly doctorly stuff) we take a ferry from north of Plattsburgh across Lake Champlain to Vermont. Three ferry crossings, and this one runs all year, 24-hours a day. Very handy. The bridges are at either end of the lake, and one of them was demolished last year anyway. The shortest distance between Hawkeye and B'ton involves this ferry.

Sooooo I went to B'ton this week. Here's what the ferry looks like. Mostly the trip is uneventful and calm, but sometimes there are huge waves that break over the bow and onto the cars. That's a combination of terrifying and way cool.

One time in March I took the ferry to trade in my car & buy a new one. I was with my friend Julie and the wind and waves were so bad that the ferry couldn't go straight across. It went way up the lake, into the wind, rocking and rolling. It sat in one place for a really long time, then finally, slowly, turned toward the Vt. shore. I've never been afraid on the ferry except for that one time. When I got to the dealership my car was encased in ice. Very dramatic, and did we want to take the ferry home? That ride was much better. While we were sitting there, bobbing in the waves, Julie and I said nothing, not a word. Except I said "Maybe they should call the Coast Guard."

No comments:

Post a Comment