Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Easter and more

Easter is coming, and I'm leaving.  It occurs to me that I haven't had a day off or trip since Christmas.  Well, leaving out 3 day weekends anyway.  This is a long stretch, nothing off until Memorial Day.  I'm really looking forward to a change of scenery, am leaving for RI on Friday and will return on Monday.  What will we do while I'm there?  Buy pansies, look at other plants, drive around, eat lobsters, eat lamb, visit a lot, walk the dogs in the park and on the beach, introduce Treasure to my RI people and eat lots of candy.  If I can make it last until I get there.  I've been eating a LOT of candy lately--there's always a candy-centered holiday, isn't there?  Hopefully after Easter there will be no excuse to sell candy on sale, so I'll avoid the temptations I'm unable to deal with right now.  Jelly beans, chocolate, more chocolate.  We used to do presents for Easter but (thankfully) we've stopped that.  Now we dye eggs and put together Easter baskets and eat a HUGE lox/bagels breakfast on Easter.  Then we eat a HUGE lamb dinner.  It's a nice day.  And the weather usually cooperates, as it's supposed to this year.

Weather in Hawkeye is good, sunny and cool.  The 2" of snow we had melted quickly so the ground is once again bare.  Crocuses have just about gone by and early daffodils will be blooming soon.  A couple of weeks early.  I'll get an Easter lily for Pat and deliver it tomorrow, will get one for my mother in Conn. (where they're much more expensive, but also much nicer).

Tonight I have to take the dogs to the vet, which will be tiring, time-consuming and expensive.  They all need their yearly shots and exam, and they all are scratching ALL THE TIME, but I see no signs of fleas so I don't know what's up with that.  I thought maybe it was allergies, but all three?  And what would they be allergic to that all of a sudden showed up?  Thought maybe it was just from the dry air of the wood stove, but I'm not keeping a fire going all of the time now, and there's no improvement.  It's nice to have it be warm enough so that a fire in the evening warms the house just fine.  Natl Grid eat your heart out, I'll pay the last of my winter bills this week.  It certainly was a banner year for my electric usage.  Huge sums of money changed hands.  I need to get the heater in the back of the house fixed, that would maybe make a difference.  Oh, I need to do so many things.  Must get the chimney cleaned.  Want new glasses.  Would like to get the tub fixed.  DID get the washing machine fixed.

I'll take my usual time off around Memorial Day, so will get chores at home done then.  As if.  I have lots of sorting of things to do, mostly clothes in the 3 bureaus that are upstairs in rooms I don't use.  I need to get the back bedroom user-friendly, in case Anna wants to stay there.  She's due to come in late June and will stay for a while, but we may be staying at camp.  I need to tidy up that room anyway, though it's in pretty good shape.  Better shape than MY bedroom is, that's certain. 

A woman who works with me surprised me at home on Sat.  She had said she might stop by, but I wasn't really expecting her.  She wanted me to meet her new beau, and they were in the neighborhood.  We had a nice visit, walked down to camp in 50-degree sunny weather.  They were impressed by camp, which just proves that they're nice people who appreciate the right things.  All 3 dogs walked with us, and it was a nice time.

Sunday I went to P&J's for the weekly gathering, had a good visit.

Friday night I had dinner with my friend in Saranac Lake--she invited her husband (she felt guilty leaving him home alone).  We ate at a nice place in Sar. Lake, and it was good to get out.

Last night I stopped to see P&J, will stop again tomorrow.  They're both fine, not up to much these days, mostly just planning on summer visitors.

Me too, though I sure am enjoying the solitude of OHR all to myself.  Or mostly to myself, anyway.  Not much bog traffic, either, which will soon change.  I need to get to the top of the bluffs before the leaves come out.  Cannot remember the last time I was up there.

Happy Easter, all.

No comments:

Post a Comment