Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Sunny but cold

Seems that's the way it's going to be for a while.  Or maybe it will rain and be cold.  I may have to clear off my wood stove and have a fire this weekend.  It's amazing how quickly the stove adapts to its new role of "holder of items."  I have planting supplies stacked up on it right now.  I always start the planting season with the best of intentions, only to find myself deep into April without having planted a single seed.  No, it's not too late.  Can't put anything out until around Memorial Day, anyway.  I'll grow cosmos, zinnias (why?  I never have luck with them), cukes, morning glories and something else.  No tomatoes this year, that's always a losing battle.  If they even get close to ripening the dogs pick & eat them before I do.  They don't like to pick cukes, though, so I have good luck with those.

Not much spring action in Hawkeye these days.  It's so different from the rest of the region, there's really no sign that it's spring just yet.  Well, the grass is getting a little green and my day lilies are up.  I have a lot of daffodils up this year, but few with buds.  That must be because of the messy weather we had so early, too warm, then cold again.  Maybe I'll plant some more this fall, I haven't planted any in years and maybe mine are just worn out.

My friend Annie has hundreds of daffodils in the woods around her house.  They were there when they bought the house, and they just keep expanding and blooming.  Very, very pretty.  I tried naturalizing many times, but I guess the soil isn't right, and there's not enough sun in my woods.

I've been trying to walk the dogs every day, which seems to have helped Chances a lot.  She needs to build up her strength, and I need to get some exercise, so it's a good match.  I was looking at pictures of Chances & Tess from earlier years, and it made me realize just how much Chances has aged this year.  She really acts like an old dog now, and is fairly deaf.  Lots of yelling "CHANCES!!! OVER HERE!!" at my house.  Funny, though, she can hear the others chewing dog biscuits from several feet away.  Old dogs are funny.  but also depressing, I think.

I've been working like crazy to catalog the e-books we've purchased.  A lot of work to create records for each title, then attach a barcode to the record.  Has kept me busy for days, and I'm not quite finished with the project yet.  Wish we could come up with a better way of doing this, but it costs $1.50 per record to buy them from a utility.  Do I cost more than that?  Sometimes, but I type really fast, and the cataloging is pretty automatic to me.  I get the raw data from the vendor & just put it in the right format.

We had book group on Sunday, a very nice time.  Big ham dinner with too much food.  I gained another pound, which I have since lost.  I seem to be--dare I say it--caring more about my weight right now, so have been eating less and better.  It's not really hard to lose weight, you just have to stick to a plan.  Not really very easy, but once you figure out the formula you can just go with it.  Let's hope I've reached the point where I'm ready and interested in seriously losing weight.  I'd like to lose 10 pounds by the time I meet up with my Midwestern friends, which is the end of June.  I have no idea if that's realistic, but my doctor instructed me to lose 4 pounds by my next appointment with him in June, so I have to at least do that.

I'm planning a big perch fishing day at camp Memorial Day weekend.  I love fishing for horny perch in the spring--when they spawn they bite anything that drops in front of them, and it's great fun to fish.  I invited book group people, along with mates and children, so we'll see how this pans out.  I don't think the docks will be in or there will be water in camp, but this is a hardy group.  And great fun to be with.

No comments:

Post a Comment