Friday, June 01, 2012

Summer season begins

We had Memorial Day weekend, and it was busy.  Lots of comings and goings, seeing people and doing things.  I walked the dogs a few times, checked out the bog, slept in the boat house, saw loons, went to the dump twice, did some organizing upstairs, and got sick, very sick.  Intestinal flu, lasted about 2 days.  I take my days off after Memorial Day to concentrate on cleaning the house, but that didn't work out well this year.  I spent one whole day lying on the (uncomfortable) couch, and got nominal cleaning done the next day.  I've still got much to do but feel good about the progress I'm making in the master bedroom (aka storage unit).  I need to hit the upstairs hall hard this weekend, which shouldn't be too hard because it's supposed to rain all day Sat.  That at least keeps me indoors.

I planted a bunch of flowers, killed a bunch of seedlings, had a good time playing in the dirt.  I went to the cemetery and planted geraniums and portulaca on the dead people.  Got good geraniums this year for Spaulding and Henry, they look pretty good.  I took Tess and Treasure, letting them roam while I planted, and roam they did.  They disappeared, which upset me; then Tess came back without Treasure.  This never happens--it's always Treasure who shows up first.  So I sat in the car a while, started to drive around the cemetery, and she came running down the hill.  Turd monkey.  It was nice to get the planting there done before black flies showed up.  Which they did this week.  They're thick this year, which is what I expected.  I still have planting to do--in the dirt, not in containers, so that will be a challenge.  The back of my neck is already peppered with red bites.

We had book group at the boat house, which went well.  No one liked the book, which meant we talked about it more than we usually do.  I cooked a chicken and others brought goodies.  Lin, Martha and Eva came early, M'lou and Lori arrived a bit later.  It was a really pretty afternoon, and the loon showed up just for kicks.

I slept in the boat house two nights--Treasure's first foray there.  She did well, slept through the night peacefully.  Kitty missed us but not enough to wander down to find us.  That will come later, when I stay consecutive nights there.  Too chilly right now to sleep there.

Linda arrived, which was great.  We have yet to have a real visit, but I'm stopping there tonight on the way home.  Women from Baltimore are here and I visited with them a bit.  The Hord camp is occupied.  Last night the Nadals arrived, and I hope to see them this weekend.  I saw Annie and Rush on Saturday, dinner there with Joe & Martha.  Very nice time.  A & R will be back SOON, which is very exciting.

I spent yesterday morning in Keene Valley, weeding their extensive art collection.  Art books, not art.  They have a huge art collection and it's a challenge to weed because they're committed to developing the best collection on that in the system, so we have to keep more than we usually would.  I had lunch there with some volunteers and the director's mother, who is 93.  She just got back from a trip to Africa, which is amazing to me.  She's great, having a good time in the Adks.

My poor mother fell down in the grocery store this week, which was terribly embarrassing.  Her foot got stuck in the wheel of the cart and down she went.  She did fine, but it meant a trip to the emergency room and lots of phone calls following.  She's good but apparently looks like hell, bad bruises on her face.  She has good bones and nothing broke.

What's up for the weekend?  Well, cleaning, walking the dogs, washing windows in the living room.  Geez they're disgusting.  I'm trying to do a window a day but some have to be done twice.  I have plants to put in the ground and seeds to plant as well.  Weeding?  What's that?  Who does that?

No comments:

Post a Comment