Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Thanks for Thanksgiving

Had a good trip to Rhode Island for Thanksgiving, got to take Weds. off and drive there in the morning.  Got there early afternoon, which was nice--traveling in daylight.  Jenica arrived that night and we were complete.  Mark & I walked the dogs in the park on Thanksgiving morning, then we had our usual ceremonial breakfast of fresh bagels and lox.  Yum.  Dinner was at 3:30, supposed to be at 4 but the bird was done early.  Good food--mashed potatoes, lima beans (2 kinds), boiled onions, stuffing, squash, gravy, turkey.  Did I leave anything out?  I made 2 pumpkin pies, using fresh pumpkin puree from Lin and Martha Stewart's really good recipe.  We hadn't finished the second one when I left on Sunday.

We spent a lot of time visiting in the living room--Jenica and I were knitting, Liza and Mark were reading.  I went through TV withdrawal.  We watched To Kill a Mockingbird, which I bought for Liza because she'd never seen it.  All stayed awake for it, which was pretty amazing.

We went on a long beach tour to see hurricane damage.  We had lobsters and clams.  We slept well.  The weather was OK, not too cold.  The dogs had a good time, especially because there's a pen there and when they come in from the pen they gets BISCUITS.  They traveled well, didn't chew anything in the car either day.

I came home on Sunday, leaving early because there was rumored to be heavy traffic (10% of Americans traveled more than 50 miles--or some combination of those figures).  The traffic was fine, though, and I made good time, getting home by 3.  Snow on the ground and a cold house (44) when I got home, but I could at least warm the house.  Can't do anything about the snow.  It's been snowing every day since then, but we only have a couple of inches on the ground.  It's supposed to get colder this week, down to 8 with a wind chill of zero.  If you believe in wind chill.  I've been having great luck with my firewood, keeping the fire going day and night.  It's great.

I got up at 2 this morning, couldn't sleep so figured I might as well get up.  What did I do with this "found" time?  NOTHING.  The dogs ran off to Dead Deer Alley and I finally dozed for an hour or so before getting ready for work.  I hate to do housework in the dark, which is why I did NOTHING.

1 comment:

  1. I am happy to see you back home and enjoying life. The cookbooks that somehow tie our families together also have allowed me to communicate more freely and I am so happy to see your blogs. I too walk in our local park several times a week and enjoy nature. We don't have dogs here because of allergies. More family stuff may come to light. All in all I am glad to get to know you.

    ReplyDelete