Monday, May 20, 2013

Nice weekend--after some drama

It was a good weekend, I relaxed and did a few chores, went to the dump, bought some more flower plants, planted a couple of containers, cleaned JUNK out of the laundry room and managed to give some stuff away to Lin and her son Jay.

I left work early on Friday, using up some time.  Ran errands, then went home--to discover that Steve found a fire in the woods below my house.  Yikes.  It was dramatic, flames 8' high and lots of crackling.  A power line came down & started the fire.  I called the Fire Dept., they came, they brought tankers, they extinguished the blaze before any camps were affected.  Very efficient.  The firemen (volunteers) were fantastic--took it very seriously, acted quickly, were really polite.  I thanked them profusely, and plan to send a contribution to the Fire Department with a note of thanks.  Following my mother's example: when she had a chimney fire last year her volunteer fire dept. showed up right away and put it out, so she sent them money.  I think that's an appropriate response, since these are volunteer fire depts.

After the excitement of the fire died down (which took a few hours for sure) I had a quiet time.  Saturday morning I visited with Fred at his camp--his hip surgery is this week so he's trying to get everything ready.  We had a really nice visit, then I went to the dump + to Lamoy's for plants.  Bought a few more flower plants, not too many.  I planted some, will take geraniums and portulaca to the cemetery (probably not until this weekend).  I was sitting in my living room yesterday, pondering things, knowing it would be a good time to go to the cemetery, but just couldn't drag myself out of the house.

The black flies are out in full force, which is one of the reasons I couldn't drag myself out.  I did some outdoor gardening--you have about 10-15 minutes before the flies find you, so you can get some things done quickly.

Friday night I visited with J&M, who arrived last week and are settling in for the summer.  They're both great.

I had a quiet Sat. night, went to bed extremely early--it's light until quite late, so I'm getting good at sleeping while it's still very light out.  This meant I got up at 5:30 on Sunday, which was fine.  I waited a while, then went for gas (discovering that my gas place doesn't open until 7 on Sunday, but they were kind enough to turn on the pumps for me before then).  Lin & her son were cleaning at Linda's and I offered them lunch before discovering that I had nothing much to feed them.  So back to the store I went, bought bread & turkey & drinks.  They came for lunch at 11 or so and we had a great visit.

My cousins came this weekend--they have a camp across the lake, which they opened as well as putting in the docks at our camp.  Very nice of them.  They fixed the gate, which the power company made a mess of a couple of years ago.  I like having engineers in the family--though my brother was very scornful of engineers as a group--because they can figure out how to fix things easily.  I never would have figured out how to put the gate back up, but they knew exactly how to do it.  duh.

Did a bit more outdoor work in the afternoon, trying to get rid of the horrible and mean blackberry bushes that are taking over my yard.  I assessed the situation on the back of the southern side of the house: trees!  Many, many trees are getting quite large and are very close to the house.  I'll ask Annie to cut them with her chainsaw when she next comes (in June).  I cut down one but it was too small to count.  The cherry trees are very pretty, all in bloom.  I have a lot of them, and they're a favorite tree of mine, but some of them will just have to go.  The apple trees are also blooming.

Restless night last night--early to bed, then up at midnight, then back to sleep around 2, then up at 6:30 for work.  Dogs find this routine puzzling but they go back to bed easily.  I made arrangements to board them later this week.  I'm going to Alexandria Bay for a meeting, will spend the night there, so the dogs go back to Dapper Dog kennels.  Complicated arrangements to drop them off & pick them up--which is interfering, my job or the kennel's hours?  Anyway, they conflict so it's complicated.

Poured rain this morning, which is good.  I have a lot of seedlings and some seeds I'm trying to get to germinate.  Hope the water wasn't too much for the little darlings.

No comments:

Post a Comment