Monday, May 06, 2013

Nice weekend

I had a really good weekend, though of course not as productive as it should have been.  I read a LOT while sitting in the sun on the deck--finished Gone girl, which turned out to be a pretty good book.  Read a lot of The art of fielding, which I'm really enjoying.  Reminds me of John Irving's work.  I cut some brambles (I love my new lopping shears) and cut some of the RI rose bush, hoping it wasn't too late in the spring to be effective.  It actually looks pretty good, with lots of new growth.  I'm not sure how many blossoms I'll end up with but it looks a lot better now.

Julie & I went to an estate sale in Keene Valley early Sat. morning.  The good stuff was gone--they said most of it went on Friday, but that was truly a good thing.  Both Julie & I KNOW we have too much stuff already.  I bought a bowl and a serving bowl for $1.50.   On our way home we stopped in Upper Jay, where there was a huge neighborhood sale.  Boy was that fun!  I bought some t-shirts for 50 cents each, a nice planter, and a small vase.  Very satisfying.  Julie got a lot of clothes for her son, plus a nice dart board.  Where did I ever play darts?  I don't know, but I do remember throwing darts at some point in my life.  Probably a bar.  No, I think my brother must have had a dart board.

Spent most of today at the Willsboro library, weeding the non-fiction.  I always start slowly, hesitant to toss anything, but pick up momentum as I go along.  Boy did I throw out a ton of stuff.  They don't really have a space problem so it was purely my judgment that the stuff hadn't circulated or was of no real value to the collection.  I had lunch with the director (a good friend) and came home to Plattsburgh.

Tonight I'm going to a co-worker's house to dig up perennials she doesn't want.  She bought the house in the winter and doesn't know what's coming up, just that she wants to get rid of things.  Hope I can recognize the plants!  I think I'm in for a lot of lilies, which is fine.  I can always stick those someplace. 

Tomorrow is a staff luncheon.  ugh.  The theme is luau so I'll make some coconut cake dessert tonight.  As if I'll feel like doing that.  But I said I would.  Apparently we'll be eating a lot of pineapple tomorrow.

Wednesday I get to spend the day in Keene Valley cataloging their archives.  YAY!  That will be nice.  And maybe, just maybe I'll get to have dinner with Fred at Big Daddy's.  We made tentative plans.  Why is eating at Big Daddy's such a thrill?  I guess just becuase it's a rite of spring/summer.  Certainly not because we adore the food!  I did have an exceptionally nice breakfast there during the winter, with the Berry/Jacks.

The weather is grand.  Maybe getting a little hot.  My cosmos seedlings are doing very well--they're on the deck now in their flats, getting strong and leafy.  I have 3 flats and am hoping there will be some survivors when they're big enough to put in the ground.  Which means I will have to prepare the ground yikes that will be a hard task--there's well-established grass in the spot where I have planted flowers in the past.  Oh I hate having grass in the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment