Friday, July 12, 2013

She's back

Sorry for the long absence.  I ended up having a big asthma event, which dragged on and on (and is still dragging on but is much better).  Lots of coughing, three trips to the doctor, plenty of meds, and now I'm better.  I was very tired, which a lack of oxygen will do to you, and spent many evenings on the boat house porch reading.  I read 4 books, I think, which was very nice.  I've been staying at the boat house for about 2 weeks, now have camp to myself.  The dogs seem to like the dual-household life--they're eager to get in the car to head to the boat house in the evening, don't seem to wander as much.

Although it's been a while, there's not much to report.  I visited with my cousin early this week--her daughter is getting married in August and I found out that it's a very formal wedding (even though they've already been married for a year...) and I HAVE TO WEAR A DRESS.  So I must buy a dress.  Well I guess there are worse things.

I've seen Linda and her guests a few times and am having dinner with them tonight to celebrate the 10th anniversary of one of the couple's wedding.  They got married at Linda's so it's a special thing.  I really like them--they're friends from Michigan, the woman used to work with Linda.  They come every year and I enjoy being with them.

I've seen Pat & Jim a few times, but haven't ventured much further than that.  I guess I really didn't feel well--all I wanted to do was be on the boat house porch.  Now that there's a porch light I can read into the evening, which is really grand.

Work has been fine, a bit busy because my co-worker was on vacation this week.  Lots of interlibrary loan traffic with the summer people now in residence.  It's amazing how much business some of our libraries do in the summer.  126 books going from other libraries to Saranac Lake today. 

Had a quiet 4th of July, didn't do much.  I missed Linda's fete, had dinner with Annie, her brother and his wife.  That was very nice, a quiet evening.  They were here for a week getting things ready for renters.  My relatives were here and I saw them one day but didn't visit much.  I must sound anti-social--I just wanted to be alone and heal, I guess.

We had a meeting of the shoreowners' association, with a picnic at one of the camps.  I'm the president, until August I think.  I really like the people in this group and am happy to have them as neighbors.  It's mostly a social club these days, though the lawsuit we were involved in brought people together.  We've been dropped from the suit (not a surprise).

The lake is incredibly high, maybe 5-6" above normal.  The boat house dock has been pretty much under water all along, though now it's at water level.  The constant rain has kept the lake level up.  I only swam twice, and even those couldn't really be called "swimming."  Just a quick dip.  The water is very nice and maybe this weekend I'll do some real swimming.

I stayed at home last night, which seemed strange.  It was a little chilly at the boat house and I thought it might be colder in the morning so I went there for a while but then went home.  Quiet night. 

No big plans for the weekend.  I have to go to the dump with house and boat house garbage.  There must be 12 empty wine bottles at the b.house that need to disappear.  I had a small cocktail party the other night, which was nice but I was tired.  Only 8 people and myself.  I think everyone enjoyed it. 

Today I'll try to clear some of the detritus off of my desk and move forward with my work.  It's a sunny day, not humid, looks like a good dock day.  I'm hoping the weekend will be like that, too.  The humid weather made breathing hard.  And summer continues

No comments:

Post a Comment