Monday, July 15, 2013

Wow

And wow, what a nice weekend I had.  I did get some cleaning done at home (long overdue) but also spent a lot of time on the boat house porch and even some time on the dock in the sun.  I swam briefly, but swam nevertheless.  The water is great.

Now I just have to figure out how to get the water to work in camp so I can host our neighborhood Sunday dinner there.  I have instructions on how to prime the pump but they don't quite make sense to me.  Apparently the only real problem is that the pump loses its prime.  Don't we all.  Anyway, I'll work on that either tonight or later in the week.  Not a lot of fun to do, especially when there's no one else around to help.  But then, I'd rather not have any cousins around while I'm in camp anyway, so who's complaining?

I read In the shad of the banyan, which had been recommended by a few people.  It's about Cambodia in the '70's, and is pretty grim but nicely written and a good read.  The author went through an experience pretty much like the one the main character goes through--I like fiction that makes sense and teaches me something.  So why don't I read non-fiction?  Because I can't remember things after I read them!  It would be too frustrating to read about the Civil War and remember next to nothing after finishing a book.  This way I get entertained and pretend to be educated.

It's hot and sunny today, a perfect dock day.  But I'm at work.

I had a doctor's appointment this morning, getting ready to have a colonoscopy in August.  This is the same doctor who's performed 2 procedures on me, 7 years ago.  He of course didn't remember any of it, but is set to repeat his performance.  Polyps, it's all about polyps.  My mother always has polyps, so he feels it would be wise for me to be checked for them every 5 years.  The only interesting thing about the visit was that the nurse was fascinated by the gold puzzle ring my sister gave me.  "Do you know how to put it back together?"  yes, I do.  "Could I try?"  So she spent at least 10 minutes trying to put it back together because she had a puzzle ring in the 70's and wanted to show herself that she still knew how to do it.  Which she did not.  Almost, but not quite.  I sat there, watching and waiting, waiting and watching while she tried several times.  She finally gave up & watched me do it.  Then she wanted to show it to the other nurses, who weren't born in the 70's so didn't know what a puzzle ring was.  Well, at least I can entertain people.

Tonight I should visit with some summer people who are leaving tomorrow.  I tried to see them last night but they weren't home.  They've called me 3 times asking me to visit, so it sure would be the polite thing to do to stop by.  I guess I'll do that on my way home.  But what I really want to do is pick up my dogs & go to camp.

I've been staying in the boat house still, though I did stay at home Sat. night.  I get up very early, by 5:30, and have coffee with the dogs on the porch for an hour before leaving for work.  Just about perfect.  The dogs are much better behaved at camp and don't wander off.  Last night Treasure didn't come back, and I went through the woods towards the neighbors, calling her.  A dog kept barking when I called her name, so I thought it was her.  Well, no, it was the neighbor's dog, who thought it was very strange that I appeared out of the woods.  Treasure, meanwhile, had shut herself on the back porch at camp, yet again.  I think Tess might have learned that the door opens IN, so once she's on the porch she can't get out.  Treasure doesn't seem to have had such good luck.  Trainable but not educable.  Anyway I was relieved that she was on our property and not stuck in the woods or making the neighbor's dogs bark.

Tomorrow I have to attend a fundraiser at the Keene Valley Country Club--it's for the library and the director would like it if I went (for free).  Expensive tickets, fancy food, expensive silent auction items, 200 people of whom I may know 5.  Well I don't have to stay long, and the food will be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment