Monday, September 09, 2013

Sunny and frosty

No real frost at 58OHR this morning, temp was 36 around 6:30.  I had a restless night, having put a different comforter on the bed--I woke at 1:30 sweating and uncomfortable.  Finally got up, watched stooopid television and knit for a while, then dozed.  I think the dogs are getting used to this sort of night time routine, they're pretty calm after their initial "we're getting up" excitement.  Anyway, it was cool but not frosty at my house but there was frost a-plenty on the way to Platts.

I've pretty much given up on the plants on my deck.  It wasn't a banner year for my flowers--maybe too much rain, I don't know.  The geraniums are just starting to recover and bloom, and most of the other annuals did quite poorly.  I'm hoping they all die a gentle, frosty death soon.  I caught the dog eating the only cucumber of any notable size that I grew, and there were plenty of green grape tomatoes for the dogs to eat.  Why do I try growing cukes and tomatotes?  Because I'm an optimist, I think ("this year it will be different").  Or else just a fool.

It's a bit quieter in the neighborhood, but there are still summer visitors.  Friends arrived at their camp yesterday for a 3-week stay, Linda is still here, Joe is still here, though mostly that's it.  I stopped at P&J's on Friday and had a nice visit with Jim's sister and Joe.  We're all enjoying September weather and everyone is pretty cheerful.  Pat & I like autumn--Jim doesn't, because it just means that winter is coming.  Two of my favorite months are September and May--everything is in transition from one season to another and there's always a lot of activity.  Right now the leaves are just starting to turn (though slowly) and the goldenrod is in full bloom everywhere.  Tess' reaction to ragweed is under control, wild apples are plentiful and huge, deer are starting to move around, there's morning mist on the water, and it's very peaceful.

I walked to camp both Sat. and Sun., picking up a few things to take home, getting ready to close for the season.  I think I'll have at least another night down there this week, when temps are suggested to hit 80.  I don't like staying there when it's cold at night.

I had fires in my new stove.  Apparently it's crucial to break the stove in gradually, so I had one fire at 100 degrees, a second fire at 200 degrees, then a third, hotter fire and now it's all set.  This stove is very different from my old stove (well, duh, I hope so).  It burns the wood slowly and gives off excellent heat.  And it's pretty to look at as well.
Oh I love a new toy.

Saturday morning Linda & I went to a local bakery that is just a wonderful gathering place with delicious treats.  We had a nice visit and saw some people we knew, relaxed there for quite a while.

Yesterday morning I had coffee with Fred and Linda at Fred's camp, which was very nice.  Days of sitting on porches are dwindling down as it gets colder.  We had book group last night at Linda's and sat on her porch.  It was chilly but nice.  We actually had some good discussion of the book (The widow of the south) and all agreed it was a worthy read.  All.  Well, there were 4 of us.  We lost Martha to Montana, so the group is smaller.  We're not sure who, or if we'll add another member, maybe we'll just have 3 or maybe 4 winter members.  It's a tricky thing, to invite someone new to a book group.

What's up this week?  Work, a meeting, more work.  Looks pretty quiet from here.  I think I'll look for a new comforter.  But maybe not.  My friend's 10-year-old son ordered $150 worth of Star Wars DVD's, using their Amazon account without his parents' knowledge.  Yes, they cancelled the order and learned a valuable lesson. 

I'm trying to walk regularly again, having become quite portly and pretty much out-of-shape.  The dogs really deserve walks, and I'll have to reveal my weight gain to my doctor next week so hope to be able to report increased activity by then.

No comments:

Post a Comment