Monday, February 24, 2014

It's been a while

Well it sure has been a while.  I've been busy, sometimes playing with my home Internet connection, sometimes reading, sometimes visiting friends and sometimes just watching TV with my mouth hanging open.  I watched some of the Olympics but missed most of the downhill skiing, which is what I most enjoy seeing. 

Things are going well for me, as usual.  I have my regular visits with Jim & Pat, got the see the Holts twice over the weekend, and had a special visit to Potsdam to see Jenica and THE BABY yesterday.  That was great fun.  The baby is very, very cute.  Gwyneth is her name, and when my friend Ralph heard that he named the newborn lamb in the barn Gwyneth.  Pretty cute.  Which is cuter?  I don't know, newborn lambs are incredibly precious.

We had a 4-day weekend last week--President's Day on Monday and a snow day on Friday.  That was very exciting--I was thrilled to have 4 days to do whatever I wanted to.  I got some chores done, did some visiting, talked to my mother a lot but mostly just felt lucky.

I went to Burlington last week, to the dermatologist.  I had something strange on my forehead, which she was fascinated by and removed.  Probably a small cyst, not really very interesting.

Friday I left work early and drove to Canada (which is only 20 minutes north of Plattsburgh) to buy some extra-special whiskey that's sold at the Duty Free Shop at the border.  It's flavored with maple syrup and is a big hit in Hawkeye.  I was entertained by my border crossings (but then, I'm easily entertained).  No problems either way but a half hour wait coming home.  Why were so many people coming to the US?  Who knows.  They were checking each car pretty carefully but when I got to the booth he pretty much waved me through.  Being a local has its perks.

Dogs are OK but I found something disturbing on Treasure's chest last night, a large lump.  I don't know if it's a hematoma, a fatty tumor, or something else.  I'll wait a couple of days to see if it shrinks, which would mean it's just a hematoma and nothing to worry about.  Of course I discovered it during the night so thought the worst of it.  The vet will be available Weds. night if I need to take her in.

Tomorrow I'm visiting a dear friend who's just been diagnosed with lymphoma.  Oh this is distressing.  She's got a great attitude and is taking the whole thing really well.  She's done her best at keeping healthy--exercise, activities, diet--so feels confident this will help.  Me?  I've decided the best anti-cancer diet includes gallons of diet soda weekly.

No comments:

Post a Comment