Friday, May 23, 2014

Spring forward

Busy time in Hawkeye.  Summer people are arriving, camps are being opened, docks put in.  I'm excited because I'm taking all of next week off and am not going anywhere except the dump and maybe Plattsburgh.  This is the first time I've ever vacationed at home so it will be grand.  I have a long list of projects and chores, but what gets done is OK and what doesn't get done is OK too.  Some of the things really need doing.  I need to get the contractors' garbage bags that are full of insulation from last fall and look like alien pods at the foot of my deck stairs to the dump.  Annie is bringing her truck today, though, so maybe we can kill that with her help.  I would love to do a major truck dump run but need a BIG truck for that.

Celebrated Linda's birthday on Weds. night, a delicious pork roast.  She knows how to cook a pork shoulder, boy howdy.  It was really good.  Nice company--J&M, Bill too.  It was a nice evening.

It's been rainy lately and feels cold today.  We needed the rain.  I need to plant my flowers, bought last weekend with Lin, in pots on the deck.  I bought dirt (how stupid is it to have to buy dirt?) and think I have enough big pots to use.  There's only one way to find out...

Nice meeting in Lake Placid yesterday, the annual meeting of our umbrella library system.  A good friend won a special award, which was a surprise to her so that was fun.  The lunch was not very good, a disappointment because it was at a fancy place.  Even the soda was flat.  REALLY!!!  Shame on them.

It feels very strange not to have specific plans for next week.  I guess it's good practice for retirement.  I'm so undecided about retiring--it's a hard decision to make.  One day I can't see doing anything but retire, another day I don't have the courage and am sure I can't afford it anyway and I like my job and what would I do?  On it goes.

Family coming to camp this weekend, though camp is not yet opened.  My cousins will no doubt put the furniture out on the porch, and my other cousin's wife will complain that they did it too soon and it will all be covered with pine pollen.  I just listen.  People do what they do.

Dogs are still restless, apparently.  They find something to mess with every day.  Yesterday they turned the oven on.  I think I have to resume caging Treasure.  She figured out how to get out of the Veri-Kennel but I have a wire cage that should work.  She won't like it but isn't that just a shame.  Oh poor girl.  I don't think Tess gets into as much trouble without Treasure's help.  I'll switch the cages next week and see how it goes.

I'll stop at P&J's tonight--it IS Friday, after all.  Saw them earlier in the week but didn't go there Sunday.  Now that I have good Internet at home I can blog more often.  Oh boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment