Thursday, July 17, 2014

July is going fast

I don't think summers usually fly by at this rate.  This year it just seems as if there's not enough time to enjoy it.  I have had my dock days, a few, and have seen plenty of summer people, but it just seems strange to have August breathing down my neck right  now.

It's been an eventful time since I wrote anything, but the most pressing event is the trouble I have with my dog Treasure.  Last week she ate D-Con that I didn't realize was in the car, and this week she's close to death from it.  It's an anti-coagulant, so her chest filled with blood.  I took her to a new vet, one with good emergency services, and she has been there since yesterday.  I spoke to the vet this morning and Treasure lived through the night but there's still too much blood in her chest and she's having trouble breathing.  They gave her a blood transfusion and massive doses of Vitamin K.  At least she's still alive--I'm trying not to count on anything but now am cautiously hopeful.  I feel terribly guilty, for keeping the poison where she could get to it, for not making her throw up when I realized she'd eaten it, for not taking her to the vet sooner--you name it, I feel guilty.  I didn't realize it took a week for the poison to work so I thought she was in the clear.  Well hopefully this will just be a learning experience and not a tragedy.  Tess is mystified by Treasure's absence and just stares at me.  She wants to go everywhere I go, more than usual.  Anyway, I've found a good vet and I really like her so I may switch, after nearly 30 years with my other one.

I had nice visits with Duncan and Sue, dinner and random visits.  We had dessert with the Camerons one night.  The Camerons invited me for dessert another night but I just felt like being in the boat house by myself.  Which didn't happen because my cousin came over and wanted to stay a long time.  Well what can you do.  Last night I was hysterical and in no shape to see anyone so I stayed home and didn't answer the phone.

Tonight I'll visit the same cousin because (I can't believe I did this) I offered to take care of her schnauzer while she goes to a funeral in NJ.  What is wrong with me?  She'd found a motel that would take the dog, but no, that wasn't good enough, I had to stick my nose in the whole thing and now I'm stuck with the dog for the weekend.  Honestly I wonder about myself.

We had Sunday dinner last weekend at J&M's, which was nice.  Too much food but it was all delicious.  Next up is Bill, next weekend with a Thanksgiving theme.  My sister will be here then (YAY) so I'm hoping she can join us.  I have to take an appropriate vegetable dish.

Yes, Molly comes next weekend, taking the train from RI to Vt.  All very cool.  I have some things to get done in the boat house before she arrives but there are other things I need her help with.  One more coat of paint on the counters, that shouldn't take long and it's supposed to be sunny and dry this weekend.  It's been so humid that I hated to paint because I hate sticky, tacky surfaces.

I've stayed in the boat house a bit, when it's hot at night.  Saturday I spent the day down there, reading on the dock and on the porch.  The lake was really, really quiet during the day--that was a bonus, but at dinner time everyone with a boat decided to cruise by s l o w l y and look at each camp very carefully.  Oh people, really, is that necessary?

I'm reading a new book, Friendship, by Emily Gould.  It's quite nice.  I have a mountain of books to read but am hoarding them for my August vacation.  I've been listening to books a lot but none seem to be memorable.  It's noise, just noise.

No comments:

Post a Comment