Sunday, May 24, 2015

Memorial Day weekend

It was a busy week, some travel and lots of visiting.  Summer people are arriving--the first have been Linda +Erdvilas and Joe + Martha.  I went to Plattsburgh on Tuesday, got a haircut and ran a couple of errands.  Wednesday morning I took the dogs to the kennel in Vermontville in the morning, then met Julie at her house in the afternoon and we drove to Alexandria Bay for a network annual meeting.  It was a long trip, though really only 3 1/2 hours.  Nice drive along the St. Lawrence River, with huge ships going by.  We spent the night, had fun together, and went to the meeting in the morning.  The speaker was young and super-enthusiastic about the violation of our privacy on the Internet.  Hello?  Is someone out there that I don't want reading this? 

Today we had our first Sunday dinner.  Linda cooked a huge, 13-lb ham with asparagus and scalloped potatoes.  yum.  Nice crowd, good food, very wonderful.

I've been buying flowers and am pretty much ready to plant my containers as well as plant at the cemetery.  I bought some tomato and cucumber plants and will try YET AGAIN to grow them.  I haven't had much luck in years but love to hit my head with a hammer and continue to try.  I had a great gift certificate at an expensive garden center and have spent nearly all of that.  I have great looking plants this year, very exciting.  The black flies have been bad but it's been windy lately so they're not too annoying.  That will doubtless change this week, when temps are supposed to be in the 80s and it's supposed to be humid.  UGH.  I need to get the boat house open so I can stay down there when it's hot and humid at night.

We had a killing frost the other morning, temp was 27.  I brought all my preciouses inside and the living room was lovely, filled with flowers.  I lost nothing and all are now outside for good.

The dogs are fine.  They do well at the kennel and the kennel people love them because they're so sweet and well behaved.  I guess that means they don't bark or make a fuss.  She told me they learned how to use the doggie door so spent a lot of time sitting in the sun in the run.  Great entertainment for them, I'm sure.  These kennel people have more than 20 Siberian huskies so my dogs had plenty of company.  Tess still limps but not all the time.  I need to get her some more meds, will have to go to Westport for that or order it online.

This week looks pretty quiet.  Need to do lots of planting.  I just talked to the Nadals and Judy told me there's a special and rare orchid that should be in bloom right about now, near their camp.  I'll have to trundle on down there to see if I can find it.

Life continues to be great.  It's green, so very, very green here and is just lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment