Monday, March 21, 2016

Spring at 4 degrees

Cold morning on Sunday, down to 4 from the 9 degrees we had on Saturday morning.  That's really typical for March, and I don't mind much--it freezes the mud so I can drive to the house.  We're having a pretty mild mud season so far.  There wasn't much snow to melt, but plenty of ice.  My sump pump has been working hard, which is music to my ears because that means the water table is high and my well is healthy.  Oh I dream of a drilled well...

I had a busy weekend, starting with a trip to Plattsburgh on Friday.  I needed lots of groceries and had lunch with Julie.  Saturday I spent the day cleaning and cooking, a special pork dinner for Fred and Bill.  Linda left me a local pork roast with strict instructions to cook it for them, so that I did.  I made a cheesecake, made applesauce, cooked sauerkraut all day, and cleaned cleaned cleaned.  I even polished some of my silver, which I enjoy doing almost as much as I enjoy cleaning the toilet.  Lots of scrubbing on that silver because I never polish it.  But boy oh boy does it look nice now!  So shiny.

Anyway, I finally got the pork tender enough and got the food ready, table set, and Bill came sans Fred.  Fred was sick and couldn't make it.  Boy did he miss a good meal.  Anyway Bill suggested we take the meal to Pat & Jim's, so we packed it all up and had dinner with them.  That was nice but they didn't eat as much as I'd hoped so I have too many leftovers.  The dogs will get most of the mashed potatoes and gravy.  There's still some pork left but that may go to the dogs.  I gave Lin most of the cheesecake.  There are odds & ends of things that I can take to Rhode Island when I go there on Weds. for Easter.

I was supposed to host book group Sunday night but that was cancelled, too, so I have the food I was going to cook for that.  I can freeze most of it.  I did made a delicious brussels sprouts slaw that I'll eat.

I went to the movies with Lin & Ralph on Sunday, we saw Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, which we all enjoyed.  Tina Fey did a great job, and it was good to be reminded of the scary mess that is Afghanistan.  Still.

Today I'm hoping I'll sort through the huge plastic bin of videocassettes I have upstairs.  I'd like to see if there are any worth converting to DVD.  I should have taken some to RI when everyone was there but just didn't get to it.  Maybe I can preview these with my mother, who has a VHS player in her TV.  I sure don't have one, I don't even have a DVD player anymore.

Tuesday I have to go to Plattsburgh; lunch with Julie and a zillion errands.  Many stops to make.  I'm going back to RI on Weds., will be there until Monday.  Have to buy lamb and an Easter lily before I go.  Have to pick up prints of last week's celebration.  Have to get drugs.  Have to find brush killer for Mark, who wants to eliminate the bittersweet that's taking over the dog pen at my mother's. 

I'm up in the night because I woke up and thought it was Tuesday, my friend Doug's birthday, and I wanted to send an early birthday greeting.  It wasn't until I started writing the email that I realized it is NOT Tuesday, it is only Monday.  It's so easy to lose track of days and dates.  I have a wall calendar which I write things on but that doesn't help if you don't know what day it is.  I'm such a print-oriented person and I need a visual image to reinforce things in my feeble mind.

Dogs are fine (speaking of feeble-minded).  Tess groans a lot when she doesn't like what I'm doing (like writing things with my computer) but she is in great shape for a nearly 13-year-old Lab.  What a sweetie.  While I was at the movies yesterday the dogs finished off the bag of potatoes and found something in a box that I still can't identify from the shreds of box and powdered something on the living room floor.  Oh what dears they are.   Well they are, really.

No comments:

Post a Comment