Monday, April 11, 2016

Spring thaw

We had more snow, then more snow, but tonight it's raining and raining and the ground is once again bare.  I can't find the daffodils I planted last fall but others are coming up in different places.  At one time I paid close attention to my plantings: I have early-bloomers, mid-season bloomers and late-bloomers.  Now some of them are gone, some seem to have moved, and the ones I planted last fall are who-knows-what.  They were part of a big batch that Linda ordered from Costco.  Let's see how they do.

I went to Plattsburgh yet again today--as a true commitment to spring I had my winter tires removed and put in storage.  I didn't have 4 tires to replace them with so bought new ones.  I love me, there can't possibly be anyone less organized than I am.  Anyway, my car has new shoes and is much quieter without the low-profile tires I use in winter.

I had an OK weekend, met a friend for coffee and long visit on Saturday morning.  It was cold out, with a cold wind and frozen ground.  We had a nice time anyway.  I went to the dump, picked up garbage at the Holts.  I went to their house for dinner Sat. night and had a nice visit with our ex-Congressman and his wife (until I offered my opinion on a friend and associate of his, oops).  The Holts left this morning.  Yesterday I went to P&J's, had a nice visit with Bill.  Jim is not doing well, has had breathing problems more severe than his usual issues and they're working with the doctor to discover what the problem is.  It's very scary, reminds me of my father's final days with congestive heart failure but maybe this is different.

I have no real plans for the rest of the week--lunch on Weds. in Plattsburgh, with a stop at AAA to get a map of Ohio and Michigan (if they have one) for my upcoming trip.  I'm leaving Saturday morning or Canandaigua, where I'll spend 2 nights with friends before moving on to Cleveland to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.  I'm sure I've written about this pilgrimage already.  Anyway, I'm meeting my RI friend Mary Frances in Cleveland, where we'll stay for 2 days to see the RRHF, then I'll go north to Ann Arbor to spend time with Linda.  I'm driving, which just makes it more dramatic.  I think I'll stop at a cousin's in the Finger Lakes on the long trip home, but haven't worked out the details of that.  I may end up in a motel for the night instead, weary from visiting with people.  I'm boarding the dogs at the spa, where they thrive.  That's expensive but this is a trip I've wanted to take for a long time so it's worth it.

Nothing much else going on.  I'm working on the newsletter for the Historical Assoc. and will meet with Bill and 2 other trustees some day this week (I guess).  I'll meet with the Director again when I get back from my trip.  By then it will definitely be spring here.  Temps are supposed to be in the 60's this weekend--of course I won't be here for that...


No comments:

Post a Comment