Thursday, May 05, 2016

Mice and cars, cars and mice

I took my car in for servicing in Burlington yesterday.  The problem was the check engine light, which apparently was easily fixed and covered under warranty.  What was NOT covered were the 2 mouse nests the service people found in the filters--one in the engine and one in the cabin.  HONESTLY!!  What kind of person has this problem?  Well, the woman in the service department told me she had had the same problem, so that helped.  I did find a dead mouse in the iced tea bottle in the car just after Easter so I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised.  There was no mouse poop in the nests, which they told me (the service people, not the mice) was a good thing.  Now I have to buy smelly dryer sheets to put in the glovebox and under the floor mats.  Will that scent be preferable to the dog smell that's the current eau du auto?

Besides the car dealer I went to Barnes & Noble yesterday, they were having a huge sale on their used books so of course I had to buy some.  WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME???  I guess this is better than my earlier fixation on shoes, when I would buy new shoes all the time.  I sorted through some shoes today but could only manage to get rid of a few pairs.  I don't wear the same shoes I used to wear to work at all so really only wear a few pairs, but I LIKE the shoes I have that I don't wear.

Anyway, I also went to Trader Joe's and bought food, some of which I needed and some I just wanted.  I bought frozen corn and discovered when I got home that there's a massive recall on Joe's frozen vegetables so I guess I'll chuck the corn.  Too bad, I was really in the mood for corn.

I had great expectations for productivity today.  I was up during the night and decided, very definitely that I was going to sort through the stuff at the back of the downstairs and find other places for the stuff.  This morning I looked it all over, shrugged and walked away.  Too much, too complicated.  So far I've only spoken to the FedEx man, haven't had a conversation other than electronic with anyone.  I guess that's OK.  I do talk to the dogs but they don't answer.

It's warming up, slowly, up to 55 today but the house was chilly so I built a fire.  I saw a flicker yesterday, sign of spring.  Very yellow goldfinches at the feeder still.  I saw a GRAY squirrel at the feeder yesterday, which is unheard of.  I don't think I've ever had a gray one here, we just have red squirrels (and that's bad enough).  Although squirrels are really quite cute I can't stand to see them around.  I'm convinced they're going to go inside my walls and chew through wires, starting a fire.  Has that ever happened?  Well, no.  But it gives me something to worry about.  Because I need more of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment