Tuesday, May 03, 2016

Spring, NOT

We're having the slowest arrival of spring I can remember.  I know that by this time last year I had a robin's nest in my upstairs bathroom window, which was open all the time.  This year it's been too cold to have any windows open, so there's a robin that's banging on my back door window.  ALL THE TIME.  My mother has cardinals that bang on windows, but I think that's being territorial, thinking it's another male bird.  This robin doesn't seem to think that, it's a very fat robin and I think it's trying to open the window.  Well, wait, if that's true why isn't it banging on the upstairs window?  Bird behavior is always a bit of a puzzle.

I saw bats outside my bedroom window last night, which was good.  We've had a terrible problem losing bats to some fungal disease, it's killed thousands of them.  I haven't seen bats around my house for a few years so it was pretty exciting.  Maybe exciting isn't the right word, but it was a relief at least.

I had my doctor's appointment this morning--I see him every 3 months or so.  Last time my cholesterol was a mess, but this time he was quite pleased with the numbers.  That was a relief.  He thinks the changes I've made in my diet are responsible--not the faint attempt at pedaling that I've been trying to be regular about.  Today I walked to the mailbox with the dogs.  The other day I walked to camp with the dogs.  All is well at camp.  There are a few colt's foot flowers blooming now, a vague sign of spring.  There's not much else spring going on.  There are bright yellow goldfinches at the feeder, and very purple finches, and white-throat sparrows as well.  If only there were some sign of green somewhere, I'd feel more that spring will happen.  I do have daffodils blooming, the early ones.  It looks as if it's going to be a good year for them, lots of buds.

Tomorrow I have to go to Burlington to have my car serviced.  There's something hinky about the check engine light and it needs an oil change.  I'll wait there at the dealer's while they wok on it, no loaner car this time.  What will I do in Burlington besides that?  Not sure I'll do anything.  I don't need any groceries or books--those are the 2 things I usually shop for over there.  I ordered Richard Russo's new book, and Jane Hamilton's new book.  WHY???  I already have too many books to read but I can't resist buying new ones.  It's better than shoes, which I used to always buy.

Friday I'm having lunch with Barb, Sunday is book group.  There are small leaves on some of the trees in Plattsburgh, and the pussy willows are out here.  I guess spring is coming after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment