Thursday, May 26, 2016

Successful trip but I missed Adk spring

I had a good trip to Rhode Island, good visiting with my mother and with Mark, celebrating Mark's birthday, eating lobsters, buying flowers, reading and resting (resting? resting from what?).  The weather was good and they were about as far along in spring (leaf-wise) as were were here in Hawkeye when I left home.  BUT...when I got home on Monday there were green leaves all over the place here.  Rats!  We had a 5-day spring and I missed it.  Well, it's still spring here, it's just that I missed the big drama of it.  Now the woods are pretty much obscene green but the leaves aren't quite big enough to be noisy so it's still a quiet place.

People have arrived for the season--Joe & Martha came while I was away and are well settled in now.  Linda arrived Monday and I spent Tuesday afternoon, Wednesday and part of today with her.  We totally enjoy being together and have fun.  Yesterday we went to Plattsburgh, got plants at Pray's--I bought 8 geraniums, ostensibly for the cemetery, but most of them went into a pot on my deck this morning.  I'll get more tomorrow when I go into town for lunch & errands.  Today Linda and I went to Asgaard to see the goats and buy some meat (not goat meat, I just bought pork).  Tonight I'm home alone (with the dogs) and have a couple of phone calls to make.  I planted many, many flowers this morning, all in containers for the deck.  So very satisfying.  I have more to plant but ran out of dirt so I'll get more of that tomorrow, too.  I have to plant seeds: cucumbers, morning glories, nasturtiums and moonflowers.  Get those seeds in the ground!

I haven't been to camp yet, every day this week I've thought I would get to the boat house to open it up, but other things came up.  Tomorrow I'm hoping to get myself down there, it's supposed to be hotter tomorrow than the 84 it was today, so maybe when I get back from town I'll do that, then sit on the porch and enjoy a lake breeze.  We need rain, it's been hot and dry for the last week, didn't rain at all while I was away.

I went to yoga class with Julie on Tuesday night.  There as a big crowd--15 women, and it was fine.  Do I really like yoga?  Maybe not so much but it's sure good for me to do SOMETHING.  I walked to the neighbors' house this morning to drop off something, retrieving Tess on the way.  The planting I did took lots of moving around and hauling dirt and pots, so that was good.  The black flies haven't been bad--if/when it rains that will change.  I know there will be flies, we couldn't have a June without them.  They were out before I went to Liza's, but where have they gone now?

No comments:

Post a Comment