Monday, December 05, 2016

Snowy Monday

We lost our pre-Thanksgiving snow, it was a nice respite but now we're having new snow.  So far we've got about 5" of fluffy stuff, very pretty.  Yes, I can call it pretty--that won't happen in February, when I'll say "We've seen ENOUGH of this."  It was cold last night, 15 degrees here, and I've accepted winter as the next season.  Good for me!  I'm all in favor of accepting the inevitable.

We had book group last night but oops, we forgot to talk about the book.  Well that's not quite true, we did acknowledge that there was a book, but Marylou forgot what it was about, Lin hated it and I liked it a lot but couldn't remember why.  We use the books as an excuse to get together for dinner and conversation and good friendship.  We had a great tour of M'lou's new house, which is absolutely wonderful.  I'm jealous, oh yes I am, of a single-floor living space that's not cluttered and full.

Lin & Ralph cut Christmas trees yesterday and Ralph picked out a perfect one for me.  I do table-top trees now, I got tired of rearranging furniture and having trees that were only 2/3's decorated because I couldn't reach the top.  I like my trees, and I truly enjoy seeing the ornaments I've collected, plus I really like seeing the bright lights at that end of the room.  I use small colored lights, I switched years ago from white lights to these.  My mother's tree is white lights only and is always beautiful, but I like the colors in my house.  ANYWAY, right now the tree is outside, waiting for me to take action.  I'll get the decorations out this week and put the tree up. 

I have no plans for today, what a cool thing.  I think I'll go into AuSable to mail some stuff and buy stamps.  I've started on my Christmas cards (wow!  that's early!) and am having a good time writing notes in them.  I sometimes wonder why this is so important to me, but I think it's having the opportunity to be in touch with so many friends and relatives at one time that I appreciate.  Why do I only do this at Christmas?  Well I suppose everyone would think it pretty strange if I started sending cards at other times, but wouldn't that be good?   I write to my mother fairly often, and to some other friends from time to time.  I like writing letters.

The dogs have just taken off in the deep snow because Treasure alerted Tess to LOOK OUTSIDE!!!  there's something there I'm sure!   I have no idea what she thinks she saw, I couldn't see a hare or deer or anything but birds at the feeder but I don't question her judgment about bogey-things out there.  It's bright and beautiful.

I'm watching a TV show about a woman who has endometriosis.  Wow, I do remember those days.  This woman has no insurance so can't afford the surgery that will cure it.  I took so many drugs for so many years--all kinds of hormones, not too many painkillers.  My final solution was of course hysterectomy, after 2 previous surgeries.  The freedom from pain and worry about what was happening to my body was fantastic, but the tragedy of infertility was devastating.  Wait, how did we get from Christmas cards to devastation???   I'm just happy that is part of my past, though the lack of my own children in my life is a sadness I always have with me.  What did all of this mean in my life?  I am the person I am, living the life I do because of the things that happened to me along the way.  This was a big one but as I say it's in the past and I suppose I appreciate good health and lack of chronic pain because of it.

So anyway, today is a GOOD day.  I can think about my past with regret, always some regret, but I also know that I have led a good life and have a good future to look forward to.  Even if I AM turning another year older soon.  Oh how I hate birthdays!  I'm always the one to say "it beats the alternative," but boy do I mind getting older.  Stop that, it's what happens, if you're lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment