Saturday, December 10, 2016

Winter Saturday

It's winter all of a sudden.  Temp this morning was 12 and it was cold, a very cold wind.  We have probably 8 or 9 inches of snow on the ground and this morning there was a thin layer of ice on the lake.  I went to the new post of our regular dump man (who was bumped from his post by someone with seniority).  It's too far to go every week but I wanted to make him feel welcomed to his new home and wanted to say hello.  He did like it that I went, and gave the dogs double biscuits and came out to talk to them.  I think I'll have to go to one of the dumps that's a lot closer, where I don't know the people and they probably don't give dogs biscuits.  Well...life is full of changes and sometimes change is good.

I have my wonderful Christmas tree up, decorated, and pretty.  Ralph picked it out and he did a good job, it just fits on the table without hitting the ceiling.  It has too many ornaments on it but it looks darn fine.

I had a good week but it was pretty quiet.  Lunch with Fred on Tuesday, followed by coffee with Bill when he joined us.  Lunch with Julie on Thursday, and finished up almost completely my Christmas shopping.  Yesterday I went to Burlington for my annual mammogram.  Lin went along but I don't think it was as much fun as she'd hoped--I was tired and didn't feel like playing.  We went to the clinic, that didn't take long, then we went to Trader Joe's, then to lunch and then I felt like coming home.  Awww, no fun!  We stopped at one store in Plattsburgh then I took Lin home, came home myself and lay down.  I don't nap well so I dozed a bit but didn't sleep soundly.  I used to take naps on weekends, before I retired.  Not every weekend but once in a while.  Now I rarely nap.  Once in a while I'll lie down in the afternoon but I don't usually get to sleep.

I slept so very well last night!  It was grand.  The dogs always wake me during the night but last night I didn't really wake up and had no trouble getting back to sleep.  I dreamed that my parents were hosting 4 people from the Navy so we were cleaning the house like mad.  Why the Navy?  Why my parents?  I mentioned it to my mother on the phone this morning and she said she didn't know anyone in the Navy.  My father was in the Army.  Oh well, if I spent much time trying to figure out my dreams I could tie my brain in knots.

Tomorrow I'll go to Pat & Jim's around noon, it will be nice to see them.  They're doing pretty well these days.  Monday night the 3 of us are going out for dinner because I'll be 64.  SIXTY-FOUR!  Who knew we would ever reach these milestones?  I'm lucky, very lucky, to have the life I do at 64.  Today is a good day, I had fun with my dogs, I fed the birds and watched them a while.  I'll finish knitting something for my mother and maybe wrap some presents or finish Christmas cards.  Or maybe I won't.  I love this life.

No comments:

Post a Comment