Friday, December 02, 2016

Long time gone

Well we had Thanksgiving, then I came home, then I just never got around to this.  Today I'm catching up on things.  I've already been to Plattsbugh, got meds, bought a few groceries, picked up some Thanksgiving prints (none worth posting here), ran a couple of errands and did NOT get a Christmas tree.  It's early to have one.  I always used to have one up by my birthday but that's not been so true in recent years.  They're for sale everywhere, so tempting.

Thanksgiving was nice.  The trip to RI was easy and uneventful.  The visit was grand.  The turkey was moist and tender.  Jenica and Gwyn came for the weekend and we had a very nice time.  Gwyn is cute, clever and wonderful and she was so lovely to me and to my mother (her great-grandmother).  She was a little less wonderful to Mark but had warmed to him by the time she left.  She's a very sweet almost-3-year-old.  And of course Jenica and I had a nice visit.  It's fun to talk library trends with her, we've always shared that.

I haven't really done much since I got home one Monday.  There was still about 5" of snow when I got here but now there are only the piles left behind by the plow.  Bare ground, how grand in December.  It's been rainy and is predicted to be rainy for the next few days, maybe some snow mixed in.  One of the salespeople I spoke with this morning said that her holly bush has a very short sprout this year, which means we'll have a mild winter.  Oh if that were only true.

Big crisis yesterday when I went to the Holts to do laundry--their generator was running!  OH NO!  Dial 911!   No, it turned out there was an actual power outage (tree down) past my house and the generator was behaving as it should have.  Crisis averted, after several calls to Annie in Minn. and lots of fretting on my part.  So today I'll return to their house and finish the laundry.

I had lunch with Julie Weds., made plans to meet what may be my new cat.  She's a used cat, they have 5 and need to find homes for some so I've agreed to take one.  Maybe.  Perhaps.

It's good to be home.  My drive home seemed endless even though it was sunny, there wasn't much traffic, and it was just fine.  I conclude that I'm tired of that trip, mostly just the trip home.  Going there is a pleasure and I look forward to being with Liza and Mark.  Well, I look forward to being home, too, so what's the big deal?  I can't explain it.  But I'm going back in 2 1/2 weeks so I'd better buck up and deal with it.

The dogs are fine.  Tess decided to throw up on the bed in the middle of the night but that was just something she did.  She's fine today, is sleeping soundly and snoring in our new chair.  Treasure is convinced it's time for lunch.  She's almost right.  I fed the birds, why didn't I feed the dogs?

No comments:

Post a Comment