Saturday, March 04, 2017

Snow on ice

Temp this morning=0  High for the day=12  Predicted wind chills= -25
I have no idea what the actual wind chill was at any point today but I have a hard time believing it was -25.  Yes, it was windy and cold this morning and my bare hands hurt hurt hurt when I picked up the paper on my way to the gym at 7:45.  Anyway now it's 3 degrees and the sun has moved over so my living room is cooling down quickly.  At least I have a good fire going and lots of firewood to feed to it.

I went to Burlington on Thursday to have my car worked on (diagnosis: DIRT packed into the wheels, causing extreme vibration).  It took a long time because I had a part replaced while they were cleaning out the dirt but I rewarded myself with a trip to Barnes & Noble, where I was extremely good and only bought 4 used books plus notecards for my mother for a total of $25.  Oh what I could have spent...

Yesterday I had lunch with my dear friend Fred.  We had an excellent conversation and covered lots of things, most of which were relevant to our present lives.  Wills, inheritance, health, weather, getting old.  OK, that doesn't sound very cheery or pleasant but it was nice and helpful to me.  Not the part about the weather, that wasn't helpful--there was an icy wind whipping along yesterday.  It died down a bit in the afternoon but came up again overnight.  Now there's a stiff icy wind but it's not blowing -25 worth.

I went to the gym 6 days this week, good for me!  Going again tomorrow morning, then will try to get there every day until Thursday, when I drive to Rhode Island to celebrate my mother's 91st birthday.  One thing Fred and I agreed heartily on was that, when you have a 91-year-old loved one every day is a gift.  Oh I never thought I would sound so corny but I do feel that way.  Any time now is good and special.  OK, maybe not so special, but a treat.  My mother is exceptionally well with no major health problems but she had an "incident" recently that was sobering and scary for me.  She's just fine but we do need to do something to make it easier for her to take a shower or bath.  And what will I do if I'm living here when I am old(er) and less mobile?  Well now there's something I can worry about.  Anticipatory anxiety.  oh let's not do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment