Wednesday, August 25, 2004

So it's 3 in the afternoon and so far today I've been a busy girl. I found out I'm really 5'2", not 5'1". YAHOO! This is unbelievably cool for me. When you're this short every inch counts. I also got weighed and was extremely disappointed--too disappointed to report on that. I've gained weight this summer and must make a concerted effort to lose weight in the coming weeks. After that I had a bone density test done. They run a machine over your pelvis, back & forth about 50 times, then they do the same to your left hip. This is my baseline. There's evidence that use of Depo Provera contributes to a loss of bone density, and I used DP for treatment of endometriosis for nearly 2 years in 1982, but maybe that will prove to be inconsequential. I eat a lot of calcium pills every day so I'm thinking my bones are just fine.

After the bone thing I went to the Honda dealer in Burlington (since I was in B'ton already). Talked to the salesman who sold me my 1995 Civic (as opposed to the one who sold my my '02 Civic, who's been sending me cards and notes ever since, but whom I never really liked. Now Jay, Mr. 1995, I LIKE him, he's young and cute). Don't have to test drive the car because it's essentially the same vehicle as my other one. He gave me a good price. I said I'd think about it.

Came back to Plattsburgh, went to the Auto Barn to retrieve contents of trunk of my car. Met up with insurance adjustor there. He reported that they're totalling my car. There are tufts of grass and mud sticking out of the roof of my car. It is very depressing to look at it, even more depressing to clean it out. He advises me to "remove all personal contents of the car" as they will be moving it to a non-storage facility on Friday. This means, presumably, it will be crushed. The frame has been bent and it cannot be saved. I take out all I want from it, leave the facility in tears. My brother died, I wrecked my car. I feel little emotion these days. One therapist I had told me that people in the mental health field view all single occupant accidents as potential suicides. Mine was NOT, really NOT an attempted suicide. Rather, it was sloppy driving due to inattentiveness. I looked away from the road and looked back to discover my right tires were on the gravel shoulder. Slammed on the brakes and did a 180, then rolled over (but only once, I believe). Anyway, that car is history.

Went to the Honda dealer in Plattsburgh, played the game of "The Automaster gave me this price, what can you do?" Well, we certainly don't want you buying your car from them. They quoted me a price that's $50 higher. What the fuck is that about? So then I said I didn't like the tires that come with the car and I want Hakapalitas, what kind of deal can they give me on those? "Nothing is free," she laughs. Screw you, I want to say. I get a discount of $40 per tire, plus some other nebulous deal. And a lecture on what they must do with the tires that come with the car, which I tune out completely. I do not want to buy a car from this woman, but I will if it works out. I like Jay better, he's much more professional and sells BMW's, Land Rovers and Mercedes Benz's as well. He gave me no crap about maybe he couldn't get me the color I wanted (Magnesium). She said it might be hard to get the color I wanted, until I told her about The Automaster. Then all of a sudden it wasn't so hard to find one.

Now I'm at work, eating up the end of the day by blogging. The union strife is on fire but I missed most of it this morning. Board agrees (apparently) to our approval of their proposal (did they forget that it was THEIR proposal?). Details to follow. This does not really satisfy the members. I'm sick of it all, glad I wasn't here this morning when everyone was tooling around the building like pull-toys on wheels.

It's a beautiful day. I played with the touch-screen computer in my rented Toy Car all the way to Burlington and back. I now know how to program the radio stations (you can put stations in different categories and run through screen after screen of category--Inform, R & B, Jazz, Rock, etc. If only we had 6 stations in each category, which is the number you can pre-program) and am very good at setting the temperature, volume and changing tracks on CD's from the steering wheel. Starting it is tricky, there's a lag while the battery decides what is the ideal time to charge enough to turn over the engine. I can't imagine that this battery would function at -30 degrees, but this car is a lot of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment