Thursday, August 26, 2004

Um...Dorian Gray? What the fuck is that? I guess I'll have to read that. And what, exactly is a dandy? It figures that I'd be something that a) no one has read and b) doesn't sound anything like me or anything about me. But oh well.

Since the article about my accident was in the paper my phone rang like crazy last night. I was out, went to dinner with great friends, plus Bill and Ken. I stopped by Ken's house on my way home and at last he was there. Unfortunately he heard of my accident from someone else before I had a chance to tell him--I hated for that to happen, seemed so unfair. Anyway, we had a drink together, I told him all the details, then said he knew more about it than anyone else. He took my face in his hands, kissed me on the lips and told me how much I mean to him. I felt better but still felt I had betrayed him by not making more of an effort to get in touch with him on Mond. or Tues. Oh well. Lin called me at the camp where I was having dinner--Jamie had called her to see how I was. Not knowing it would be in the paper, I hadn't told her about it yet. She was really worried (the paper said I complained of head pain--don't we all). He also called his parents, who called my mother. Since I hadn't told her the car rolled all the way over, she got upset. I called her at 7 this morning and reassured her. I said I was really lucky and that the car held up well. She said that SHE was really lucky. I can't disagree with that. We're all lucky, aren't we. This whole thing has been scary, sobering, emotional and I guess really awful for me, sinking in slowly. I got a call from (get this, Molly) Ricky Santor, voice from the past--daughter of the man who used to care for our grandfather. She wanted me to know that she has an extra bedroom and if I needed to move in with her she would take care of me. Now THAT is a nice person making a nice offer. We talk once every 2 or 3 years. I went to her mother's funeral a couple of years ago and see her in the grocery store every now and then. It was really sweet of her to call and we talked a long time. So today I feel lousy, am very sore and can barely turn my head. But the hunt for the perfect car at the perfect price continues. I have a lead on yet another dealer, a mega-dealer in New Hampshire that delivers cars to your doorstep and reputedly has prices that can't be beat. I have to call them today.

Jackson is on the prowl again. I heard reports from people last night that he showed up at a dinner party at the camp down the hill. They have a long porch and they were merrily eating dinner when they heard CLUMP, CLUMP, CLUMP as he mounted the stairs, then CLIP, CLIP, CLIP as the trotted across the porch, then his face appeared in the doorway. He'd been to the camp a couple of weeks ago when this woman's sister was staying there, scaring her 16 year old son as he scavenged outside the window at midnight, making Tom think he was a bear. My friend was one of the dinner guests and knew Jackson, so his presence was explained. Ah, the neighborhood dogs. He took off last night at midnight again, so I'm sure he went back down there. He's certainly cheerful these days, now that there are more people at the foot of the hill. New people come in to Ken's camp this weekend, can't wait till they meet him. They're very nice people, I've known them for several years but they've yet to meet Jackson.

Still warm but a bit hazy today. Humid. Where was this weather when my family was here? Today and tomorrow are due to be in the 80's. Of course Saturday it's supposed to rain. Linda and Erdvilas come on Saturday (time to put my drinking hat on). That will keep me entertained for the next two weeks. It's pug time!

No comments:

Post a Comment