Monday, April 25, 2005

I tried to get some cataloging done but OCLC is so miserable today that I can't get to the records so I'll blog instead. I need to get the Akwesasne stuff worked on, they have a huge backlog of stuff. They're not online, though, so unfortunately I put them off until the bitter end. They're the library that's on the reservation so they're stuff is harder to find.

Not a productive weekend. Rained both days, although the sun came out yesterday in the afternoon. Did not inspire me to do much but I did start cleaning my bedroom. Sorted some clothes: threw out some old stuff, put some in a bag for Salva. Army, put some sweaters away. Whittling down the collection. Bought a shoe rack, put it together and put my 21 pairs of shoes on it. And that's not my summer shoes, which, granted, there aren't many pairs of. And I don't have any dress shoes, really.

I walked to camp yesterday at 6:30 in the morning. I can't go there this time of year without really thinking of Henry. He was really getting into the rhythm of opening camp, getting set for the season, taking on the responsibility of being the one who puts in the water, gets the docks in. And of course today is his birthday. I have such a hard time, miss him so keenly. He was my brother. But it was nice to be at camp and have open water. Last weekend a loon flew in front of me, across the 60' of open water along the shore. Yesterday I could hear the loon calling. It's so early for the loons to be back, but they must sense that spring is early this year and it's ok to be here.

And now it's the last week of my director's career. The countdown is underway. 4 days after today. The big retirement bash was Friday night. I had 3 quick drinks and got through the evening ok. Don't remember too many details. But then, I don't remember the details of much of last week. I'm sort of focused on getting through the rest of this week and my surgery next week, just planning on that stuff. Hard for me to focus on much else.

I called my bank's 800 number to get my checking account balance and there was a mystery $1200 deposit so I called the bank. It seems the IRS decided I erred in my tax return this year and doubled the amount of my refund. I asked to have my refund directly deposited in my account, so there it was, nestled sweetly in there. Enough to pay for my plane ticket to Denver in July, enough to pay my electric bill, my Sears bill and more. Plenty left over. Will wonders never cease. I'll put most of it in my credit union savings account, otherwise I'll just piss it away, that's what I do with money. I need money to buy boards for my deck. I need a new couch. I need a new box spring. Oh wait, that's more than I have.

And now it's time to try OCLC again, but I'm not optimistic. Perhaps I'll do some more discards. I love being a clerk, it's so easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment