Friday, July 29, 2005

The day before vacation is a combination of "I'll never get this all finished in time" and "I don't have enough to do to kill the rest of the afternoon." Right now I'm debating whether to start cataloging the notoriously boring and complicated holdings of Port Henry's library or to find something less strenuous to do, like read book reviews. I should be checking authority entries--EEEEEWWWWWWW. That is totally mind-numbing but crucial to the quality of the data base and I never do it often enough so it just builds into this hugundous task that takes hours and hours of doing. Not to be started this afternoon, I think.

My sister is in America and I feel much better. I have access to her. I could call her up right now if I wanted to. Well, probably not now, she's probably swimming at the Salty Brine State Beach in Galilee, Rhode Island. It's a nice beach, but there are a lot of people at that beach, my only complaint about it. The sand there is very fine and white. When I get to Rhode Island, probably on Sunday, I'll settle into whichever sleeping area I'm assigned to, try to get my dogs to settle down, and heave a sigh of relief. There is much between me and that moment. I have to clean my house because my family will be using it, my mother will be staying there next weekend. I have to be secretary at the Conservationists' meeting tomorrow afternoon. I will probably go to Sunday dinner with Bill and Ken before leaving for RI. I have to stack at LEAST 15 wheel barrow loads of firewood. I'm doing a minimum of 6 loads a night. So far so good. And of course I have to pack. That takes about 20 minutes, and I'm half done because I never completely put everything away from Colo. Bought new t-shirts so I have lots to wear. Just bought another pair of shoes in my search for the pair of perfect summer shoes. Nope, these are not the pair. Time to give up Got good flip-flops, though--so now I can go to the White House.

Weather broke here and it's been cold at night. Turned on my mattress pad to keep warm. Tess is torn between sleeping under the covers and on top. Under, over, under, over at least 4 times before settling down. The bed is totally unmade before the 3 of us go to sleep. I think it's funny and am getting used to sleeping in a complete tangle of sheets and comforter. Why do we have to have our beds neatly organized while we sleep? I have to take both dogs with me to RI, since I now only have 2 and cannot ask Lin to stay at my house for only one dog and cannot afford to board Tess for the number of days I will be gone. It is not particularly fun to have both dogs there, but Tess and my mother's dog really do enjoy being together. At least the human population density will be relatively low, only my sister and I will be there this time. At Easter and other times when it's just Mark, Liza and me it works out pretty well.

I'm looking forward to going to RI. Ocean sun, good seafood, family tradition time in my mother's house. The three women together--what's left of the immediate SR family. Then it's on to Silver Lake, where things change drastically. Many, many Rogers and it will be hard on my mother. She does not enjoy the weekend of the family meeting, there are too many people to suit her, and relationships are complicated. I try to protect her, and spend a lot of time listening to and soothing her. I visit with my cousins a bit, and would like to spend more time in the boat house with my sister and Jenica--I've never stayed in the boat house with my sister. Meeting weekend I always stay at my house to keep my mother company. Someday, maybe. This year I'd like it if my sister had some time in the boat house to herself so she could enjoy it the way I've been enjoying it. Well, hell--there's just not enough time and there are too many people, but that's life. I may sleep on the front porch of camp, if Liza stays in the boat house with Molly after the meeting weekend. That's a great place to sleep. It's a huge screened-in porch so it's like sleeping outside. A little bit of privacy, not much.

And now I have to take care of the interlibrary loan books that came in the mail this afternoon--both my clerks are out today so I have checked in about 150 books, processed 40 ILL requests, checked out books for Monday's delivery, and done a bit of cataloging (opera videos for Lake Placid--UGH!). Then I will print out crossword puzzles to take to RI with me.

I have to go to the credit union, the liquor store (bourbon to take to RI with me), the grocery store (Diet Coke to have on hand and take with me), Seltzer (take with me), dog food (no explanation necessary), dog biscuits, batteries for my clock and flashlights. Last night I bought Ken's socks and had the oil changed in my car. Tonight I would like to vacuum it. I'm not hysterical about this trip yet, but there are 2 days between me and it.

No comments:

Post a Comment