Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Apparently there's a secret stash of CD's because another box of them came to me in Friday's delivery and was waiting for me yesterday. Haven't opened it yet. It's a small box, but HONESTLY! Enough is enough. I'm getting really good at this, though.

Sun, rain and snow over the weekend. Excellent foliage on the far shore and on Silver Lake Mountain, truly beautiful. Saturday morning was sunny and bright, the first sunny day I'd had to enjoy in a long, long time. The temperature in my living room was 48 when I got up, though, when the sun was still low in the sky. It took a long time for the wood stove to get the temp up to 60. I enjoyed the morning, stacked some wood, then went to camp. Emptied the two refrigerators there. What is with my relatives? Why do they leave food behind? Who thinks a pint of peppered horseradish is something anyone else would want? And why leave a two-gallon tub of ice cream in the freezer? Who is going to eat that? I took a big gob of stuff to the dump. I closed the boat house, sadly. At least it wasn't snowing and freezing, although of course the sun had disappeared by then and the wind was whipping. I don't think I've ever closed the boat house when it was actually warm. I just have one more trip to make down there to pick up the clothes I told Anna I'd send to her and to pick up another bunch of clothes I left there. Other than that the dear sweet building is set for winter, as is main camp (thanks to my former in-laws, who are now merely my cousins).

I spent the late afternoon watching a DVD called Wicker Park, which I'd had for months and months. I'd read good things about it, and it was supposed to be about a man who went home in search of an old girlfriend and visited with an old friend, etc. Well...not so much. It was about two lovers who'd separated under false pretenses and were still in love but couldn't find each other and throughout the whole film they were desperately, sadly trying to reach each other. At least it had a happy ending, but it left me crying for desperation, lost love and a dead brother. Not what I had in mind for the day.

Sunday morning we had snow on the ground. I started the day by cleaning my fish tank: I siphon about half the water out every week or so, to get rid of the ammonia in the water generated when the fish pee. I didn't know fish peed, but when I started reading about having an aquarium I discovered this. Anyway, one of the danios was incredibly curious about the siphon, sure it was food, and ended up getting sucked into it and stuck halfway in it, with his innards being sucked out of his body. Dead danio. I mourned his death because they were a good pair. Two fish in my tank is a sad sight. But I gamely went to Sunday dinner. Fred was there and he was exhausted from trying to keep warm at his camp with just a fire in the fireplace and an electric heater.

Sunday afternoon was the joy of our book club, which was nice in spite of the constant rain. We had our usual 45 minute discussion of the book, with some really nice insights. Then we had our 2 hour marathon discussion of life's issues and comedies. That was good.

Yesterday I spent the day in Saranac Lake with member library directors at their meeting, giving them information and guidance about a number of things. They are a good group and I really enjoy being with them. All women, though we now have 2 male directors (who didn't show up). It was a long day but a good one.

I stopped at Walmart (shopper's remorse) to get plastic to cover my windows, the good kind of mousetraps, tarps to cover my wood piles and Halloween candy for Ken to hand out. Then I got to go to PetsMart to get new fish. After much agonizing I picked out the kind I wanted to go with my new danio only to find out that I'd have to get two of them because they were tetras, schoolers who don't like to be alone. So I switched to another platy, and ended up with one that is really kind of too big for my taste, and is yellowish-orange, a lot like the other platy I have. But now I have two danios again and they really like each other. The two platys don't spend any time together. I sort of wish I'd bought the two tetras instead. They were smaller and were yellow and greenish. Well, such is life. I like my fish.

Weather forecast called for 3-6" of snow in "higher elevations" (that's me) but now they've changed it to "up to 3" this evening. Great, I don't much mind that and it will melt by tomorrow afternoon.

And now I have a meeting, then I'll dive into those CD's. Tomorrow I'm having lunch with a member library director who wants to talk to me about problems she's having with her board. She's coming to Plattsburgh because she doesn't want to be seen in her town with me, afraid someone will see her and hear our conversation. Thursday I got to Elizabethtown to meet with the new director there and offer him the benefit of my years of accumulated wisdom.

This afternoon I go to the doctor, who always makes me laugh. He will tell me if my cholesterol levels are high or low and we will joke about what an idiot the President is.

No comments:

Post a Comment