Monday, October 31, 2005

So I was:

36 years old during the fall of the Berlin Wall
33 years old when the space shuttle Challenger exploded
31 years old when Apple introduced the Macintosh
30 years old during Sally Ride's travel in space
28 years old when Pres. Reagan was shot by John Hinckley, Jr.
26 years old at the time the Iran hostage crisis began
23 years old on the U.S.'s bicentennial Fourth of July **and Jenica was born**
21 years old when President Nixon left office
19 years old when Alabama Gov. George C. Wallace was shot
16 years old at the time the first man stepped on the moon: I remember really well
15 years old when Martin Luther King Jr was assassinated
12 years old during the Watts riot
10 years old at the time President Kennedy was assassinated: kids in my class cheered
6 years old when Hawaii was admitted as 50th of the United States: I remember this
4 years old when the Soviet satellite Sputnik 1 was launched: we used to watch it in the night sky
not yet 1 year old at the end of the Korean War: but I was alive already--YIKES!


And I am:

19 years 10 months younger than Yoko Ono, age 72
11 years 7 months younger than Bob Dylan, age 64
9 years 5 months younger than Mick Jagger, age 62
7 years 8 months younger than Eric Clapton, age 60
4 years 7 months younger than Stevie Nicks, age 57
2 years 10 months older than David Lee Roth, age 50
5 years 8 months older than Madonna, age 47
9 years 3 months older than Jon Bon Jovi, age 43
14 years 3 months older than Billy Corgan, age 38
17 years 3 months older than Mariah Carey, age 35
21 years 6 months older than Alanis Morissette, age 31
29 years 0 months older than Britney Spears, age 23


NINE years older than Jon Bon Jove? 29 years older than Britney Spears? (I knew there was something I REALLY didn't like about that girl)

and then,

When these songs were topping the charts
and these events occurred your age was:
Rock Around the Clock, Bill Haley and His Comets: 2
Don't be Cruel, Elvis Presley: 3
Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and The Big Bopper die in a plane crash: 6
The Twist, Chubby Checker: 7
Big Bad John, Jimmy Dean: 8-- I remember this really well
Sherry, The 4 Seasons: 9--I remember this even better
The Beatles first appear live on The Ed Sullivan Show: 11--This was a monumental experience in the lives of me and my sister. We watched it, in black and white, in the basement of our house in Rockford. We were stunned.
Downtown, Petula Clark: 12
The 8 track tape player first offered in 1966 Fords: 12
Hey Jude, The Beatles: 15--Another monumental event
Woodstock Music Festival: 16--I was away from home that summer, living in the Adirondacks. My brother wanted me to go to Woodstock, and suggested that we meet there. Can you imagine if we had tried to?
Me and Bobby McGee, Janis Joplin: 18--My freshman year in college, one of the most confusing times in my life. I was madly, deeply in love
ABC TV premieres In Concert: 19--Ah yes, Don Kirschner. Paul Schaefer used to do the most incredible impression of him on SNL
Time in a Bottle, Jim Croce: 21--I never liked that song
I Shot the Sheriff, Eric Clapton: 21
Silly Love Songs, Wings: 23--Why would this even be included?
Elvis Presley Dies: 24--I was already a librarian
Do Ya Think I'm Sexy, Rod Stewart: 26
Another Brick in the Wall, Pink Floyd: 27--By now I'm old
John Lennon is shot to death: 27--I was glued to the TV at a friend's house, in shock and terribly, terribly sad
MTV makes its debut: 28--And me without cable. I watched it EVERY chance I could, and had a friend who used to tape hours of it for me and give me the videos. It used to be just videos, hours and hours of videos. I loved it.
Who Can it be Now, Men at Work: 29--That guy with the wierd eye
The recording of We Are The World: 32
Nothing Compares 2 U, Sinead O'Connor: 37
Fleetwood Mac perform at Bill Clinton's inauguration: 40--And man was I excited when he was elected! Someone close to my age was President!
The Sign, Ace Of Base: 41--I don't even recognize this
The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum opens: 42--My goal in life is to go here.

2 comments:

  1. Where the hell were you when Kennedy was shot?? Jeez, even in staunchly Republican Colorado people were horrified!

    Not knowing Ace of Base is a GOOD THING! If only I could delete those brain cells....

    Also, you may be older than David Lee Roth, but I KNOW he looks like the oldest person breathing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was inb 6th grade, in Rockford, Illinois (come on, feel the). At that time it was incredibly Republican, and full of John Birchers. I know lots of people don't even know about the John Birch Society anymore (thankfully). Rockford was so conservative that Goldwater won there when he ran for President, and he didn't win ANYWHERE.

    ReplyDelete