Friday, October 21, 2005

I finished cataloging the CDs yesterday, so what will I do today? The ultimate insult was in the final batch I did: a bunch of 10 year olds singing hits of Elvis Presley. Honestly, it was just awful. High, screechy voices wailing about blue suede shoes and jailhouse rock. ugh. Anyway, that project is done and now I move on to the next--Plattsburgh Public's yearbook collection. That is just monotony, not a challenge.

The sun finally came out today. We had a heavy frost this morning so I can clean up my plants and put away all my summer furniture (OK, I could have done that sooner). It'll be nice not to step on cherry tomatoes that the dogs have dragged all over the place. Plus it will be nice not to be looking at ratty flowers in pots all over the place. I took in my house plants last night and will spray them with insecticide this weekend. I have no place to put them but I'll figure something out.

I've been fantasizing about putting up a wall at the end of my downstairs and making a room out of what I call the library. It would save so much money on heat and would make my living room so much warmer. It entertains me to do this because it is so much like my mother to think of what I can change about my house next. I may ask for a quote on the project, it shouldn't cost too much, just some studs and drywall and a door. It would be sooooo much warmer in my living room this winter, and sooooo much less expensive to heat my house. It would be hotter in the summer, too, though. And then I think about how it would look, and it definitely wouldn't look as nice, except it would hide the piles and piles of junk I have there, since all use that space for is storage. It's a nice space, with an ash floor, 2 nice windows and a glass door. Something to think about, but if I want it done before winter I'd better haul ass.

I've been burning the wood I bought in June that's stored in my wood shed. It's hard to get a really hot fire going, but last night I managed to get it up to 500 degrees, an ideal temp. At last. This winter I'm going to need to have it that hot every night, so I need to familiarize myself with this wood and how it burns. Every season I have to get to know the wood I've bought and how it burns and how get it to burn hotter. I'll stack wood this weekend--on Saturday and hopefully Sunday morning, since it's supposed to rain on Sunday but maybe not until the afternoon. Book group meets in the afternoon. I have GOT TO get the rest of that wood stacked, it's truly horrible that I haven't done it yet!

1 comment:

  1. Check out the pile infront of MY house on the wy to book club Sunday. You would be appalled. I am!

    ReplyDelete