Friday, October 07, 2005

The perfect day
is what I had yesterday. I took the day off, knowing it would probably be my last (no, really, my last) chance to enjoy autumnal warmth at camp. Weds. was Bill's actual 60th birthday so Fred, Ken, Bill and I went to dinner at our new favorite restaurant, had a really nice time together and ate too much food. After dinner I fell into a stuporous sleep on the couch. When I woke, late at night I took the dogs to the boat house and slept there with the doors to the porch wide open. Unheard of in October. It was wonderful. I woke yesterday morning to a sunny haze and three loons parked in front of the boat house. It was fantastic. I spent a couple of hours sitting on the porch, drinking tea and reading. The dogs loved it, I loved it. The lake was like glass and I had the world to myself. I went to the house for a couple of hours of reading in the sun on my deck, but it got too hot (too hot! in October) so I went back to camp and spent the rest of the day on the porch. I'm reading our book group book and enjoying it, although I was struck by how poorly the first part of the book was written and thought that was really interesting. The guy used the word myriad 4 times in 50 pages.

I went home at 4:30 and spent half an hour stacking firewood like a good girl. Very proud of myself, it was hot and buggy and I didn't really want to do it.

Last night I syphoned out half the water in my fish tank and replaced it with fresh water. The danios survived and zipped around like mad fools in the new water, but the platy hid behind the filter for about 1 1/2 hours afterward, totally traumatized. Later in the evening the orange fish relaxed a bit and was swimming around--whew!

So today is Friday, and this weekend is Columbus Day weekend, when lots of people are in the neighborhood. Linda and Erdvilas come tonight, Rush and Annie will be here, and I found out today and another couple who are bought a camp a few years ago will be here as well and are having a cocktail party on Sat. afternoon. Joe and Martha will be here and our really good friends the Neals will be at Bill's camp. Plus another couple. So I'll be busy keeping up with everyone. Sunday night is the big party for Bill in Plattsburgh, the final (I hope) birthday celebration.

And now I have to get going. I just spent half an hour on the phone with my college friend Doug, who lives in Connecticut. He and I agreed that if we ever won the lottery and had millions of dollars we would give each other a million. And he told me I should figure out a way to have a well drilled this fall. I have air in my water lines, somewhere, which may mean trouble with the foot valve in my well. This could mean big problems this winter, or it could just continue the way it is. Life is full of crap shoots, isn't it.

1 comment:

  1. That was it for the nice weather I guess!

    I hate the book. Is that so wrong?

    ReplyDelete