Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Run for Cover!

We're supposed to be having a big winter storm today but so far all we're getting is rain. They had predicted 8-12" of snow, now it's down to 5-8" (more in the mountains, that's me). Let's hope we get the 5", I can handle that. The drive home will be "slippery and wet, with rain changing to sleet." Swell, 30 miles of sleet and frozen road. I can take my time, I'm never in a particular hurry to get home. Tonight I'm having dinner with Ken and I can always go there first, leaving the dogs for later. They'll survive--as my mother always says, dogs can't tell time.

I took all the junk out of my car that I don't want to take to my mother's in Rhode Island tomorrow, since it's likely that I won't be able to drive to the house after it snows. My plow man is notoriously reluctant to plow. I think he plows me out of pity and doesn't like to do it at all. Last year he only plowed once, and that was when I called and asked. The rest of the time I parked at the end of the drive and walked to the house. So I figure I'll be packing the car one item at a time, which will be fine, since I'm only going for a few days. Mostly I'm taking clothes and dog food. I leave in the morning--it's a 6 hour trip and I'm usually on the road by 10, taking my time in the morning. That's what's nice about traveling alone, you set your own pace. Sometimes I leave at 9, sometimes at 10:30--who cares? I have to stop at the post office to pick up a package that's too big to fit in my mailbox. Wonder what that is?

There will be 3 of us for Thanksgiving, our usual crowd. We do have a good time. Mark has to work until noon so Liza and I should have a nice morning. Unfortunately, it's supposed to snow in RI as well, so my dreams of retreating to a warmer climate are dashed. It's only going to be in the 30's here. I'll have to leave the heat on in the house (ca-ching). At least the fish will be warm in their heated pool. My stove has been smoking when I open the door, which is driving me crazy. I had the stovepipe cleaned last year so it shouldn't be that bad, but I may have to have it cleaned again when I get back. I'd like to know who is going to pay for these things! I still can't stand the idea of winter but I suppose, since it's the 22nd of November (happy anniversary, John F. Kennedy) I should expect snow, cold, wind=winter. I'm just not acclimated quite yet. I like November a lot and am not ready to give it up. Sometimes we get a lot of good weather out of December, too.

I read the Natl. Weather Service's long range weather forecast for the Northeast recently. There's a good chance that our winter will be below, at or above average. The government really likes to put itself right out there, doesn't it.

No comments:

Post a Comment