Wednesday, November 02, 2005

How dreamy

So I've had two travel dreams lately, both involving an impending trip with my sister and mother. They were good, happy dreams in which the three of us were preparing for a trip. We were going to Europe in one, needed to be at the airport well before the plane left. I had a clear image of the giant plane (this may have been prompted by news stories of the battle between Airbus and Boeing on what size plane people really want for future travel: huge, seating 850 or regular size), but I wasn't prepared for the trip, couldn't find my passport, wasn't packed. Dream #2 took place last night. Again, sister and mother and I were going on a trip. Was the afternoon/evening before the trip. Much to do, laundry--which wouldn't be dry enough to pack before leaving. I found my passport, but it had expired. Would they require a passport for this trip? Sister said no (she always the source of good advice) but I was nervous. Clothes all over the place, much tidying up to be done before I could leave. I wasn't terribly stressed, but uncomfortable.

So I'm a librarian, right, I turn to the Internet for input. Here's what a Google search (good old Google) turns up from a variety of sources, listings under "dreams having to do with travel" or some variation thereof:

Companionship may include known relationships or strangers. Generally, the companionship either helps or hinders progress toward the dream goal. The effect of your companions on your travel should be interpreted metaphorically as a symbol of that person's impact on your life. OK, that's good, the relationships are a positive thing in the dream and they were helping me.

If your dream about traveling, expect some changes like separation from a close friend or a break with old habits. Dreaming about a trip usually reflects your desire to start a new life, find new places, begin new projects This one is tough to interpret--I don't think I really want to start a new life. The only thing resembling this is my new director and the onset of winter. Need to complete preparations for winter season (damn firewood), plan to build interior wall (major change in house)--what symbolic changes can I think of?

A sudden substantial increase in status and/or income is forecast in a dream of traveling for pleasure Needless to say, this is my favorite one!

To dream of getting a passport indicates an approaching opportunity for profitable travel; to dream of losing a passport suggests a depressing lack of progress due to unappreciative or hostile influences around you. Try to find a new channel or a new environment for your activities But nothing about having an expired passport. Combination of losing and getting one, I guess. I hate to ponder a "depressing lack of progress," although I still haven't finished stacking my firewood and that really does depress me. It's there to remind me every time I pull up to the house. Hostile influences? The rain. The only new channel I would find would be on the TV

So I am not good at taking advice offered by my dreams, although this morning on the way to work I was trying to think of different ways to arrange furniture around my dinner table. It occurred to me that I don't need that ugly green bureau there and if I could figure out a way to get it to the dump I should take it there. So there's a creative outlet, right there. A small chest would to, all I need is a place to put napkins, extension cords and light bulbs. A huge ugly bureau is not necessary. My goal is to buy a new dinner table, a new couch and to have my father's chair re-upholstered. I need a second income for all of that, however. I would also like a set of snow tires. And I need $300 to have my car get its 20,000 mile check-up. I need, I want, I need. My fish and my dogs are so much easier to please. They just want food, a place to poop and pee and a couple of Nylabones now and then.

No comments:

Post a Comment