Friday, July 14, 2006

So little time, so many people
Last night ended up being another of those nights that was not at all what I'd planned or expected. My friends from Cambridge, a former camper who bought one of the nicest camps on our side of the lake, ended up inviting me for dinner (along with Linda and Erd.), so I went home for 15 minutes before heading there. We had a really nice time, plus the food was delicious. Their son was there--he'll be a sophomore at Harvard this year and all 3 of them have taken Asian cooking classes. We had homemade spring rolls and tempura-battered onion rings for appetizers, then a grilled pork roast with a delicious rub, plus grilled peppers, a great salad and beets. yummy. We had about 4 bottles of wine, delicious blueberry-flavored cocktails before dinner, brandy after dinner, then we wove our way to Linda's for a sit-around-the-campfire time. The men in the group assembled in Linda's kitchen to build fancy and impressive drinks but I had water and sat by the fire with Chances and the ladies for a little while, getting home at 11. The moon was an incredible orange-red and rose at a leisurely pace over the water. It was a really nice evening but man am I getting socialized out.

Tonight I'm having cocktails (sense a theme here?) across the lake with the couple who's leading the tax revolt, and Linda. Be there at 6 and Linda swears leave by 7. I have to work until 5, which means I can't go to physical therapy as I'd planned. Won't get home until 5:45 so I'll just go to Linda's rather than stir up the dogs just to coop them up again.

This morning while I slept Tess ate a container of fish food (dried brine shrimp, which I bought as a treat for the little darlings, but which were so big they scared the hell out of them--they all swam away from the food really fast when I dropped it in the water, very funny). I had left the bedroom door open (for the breeze) with a baby gate and chair blocking the doorway. This just proves that Tess is, in fact, not mature enough to be trusted in the house unchaperoned. As if that were a surprise.

I forgot that I didn't have to be at work until 9 so got here at 8 this morning. I sure could have used that extra hour of sleep but I don't really mind. I played around with my pictures, ordered some online, then went out for coffee, taking orders for everyone who wanted some. I like doing things for other people so that was nice. Then I spent the day cataloging children's books (manohman do I hate children's books). Scholastic and some other reprint publisher editions. At least I could basically copy the records already in our data base, but of course that just makes it more monotonous. Now I will tackle some more RL Stevenson records. Sigh.

It's really hot here, 90, and due to be that way tomorrow and Sunday. I'm sure hoping for dock time. I just keep saying it like a mantra. Dock time. Dock time. Fred is having a garage sale at his Plattsburgh home and we had all planned to go early because he'll have some wonderful stuff. I think I'll pass, though--his prices will be really high and I have NOOOOO money right now (checkbook balance= -$20 and today is payday). Do I really need more stuff, anyway? Besides, I have to be ready for the big party tomorrow afternoon. Must wash my dress tonight and hang it out to dry tomorrow, first trying it on to make sure it still fits. I am no longer the size I was last time I wore it but hopefully it's one of those vaguely enough shaped dresses so I'll get away with it. It's a pretty color green so I'd like to wear it. Otherwise I'll have to wear my standby navy blue flowered dress, which I've worn a zillion times.

Onward and upward.

No comments:

Post a Comment