Friday, April 27, 2007


poop
Originally uploaded by woodsrun.
This is coyote poop, or scat (as some naturalists) or spoor(as my aunt) would call it. I think this coyote's last meal was a rabbit. When my dogs come across fox poop they stop to sniff it and usually rub their shoulders in it. They walked right by this, though--they're intimidated by coyotes. When we hear them yipping as they run around at night the dogs perk up their ears for a minute, then put their heads down without even barking. Lots of domestic dogs feel that way about coyotes.

People around here insist on calling them "coydogs" as if coyotes and domestic dogs have interbred. There are those of us who strongly dispute this--I think it's highly unlikely that the 2 species have mixed. I mean really--do lions and leopards mate with each other in Africa?

For some reason I call them "cai-yotes," while most people call them "cai-yoties." Must be that Roy Rogers called them cai-yotes, or else it's a Midwestern thing. Or it's just one of those wierd things about me.

No comments:

Post a Comment