Monday, March 29, 2010

forsythia 004


forsythia 004
Originally uploaded by woodsrun
This is how the forsythia in my living room looks. It's so bright and pretty. When I was in RI the last time, my mother cut some sprays of her forsythia bush for me to force. I stuck them in water and here's what happened. Magic--yellow blossoms from empty branches.

Yesterday I cut some branches from my bloomingest apple tree. I'm hoping to have a similar result. well, not yellow, but pink and pretty.

There's not much snow left in Hawkeye, and my daffodils and crocuses are showing up in the spots where it's sunniest. The other clumps are still buried under snow. About 6" of snow left. I'm like one of those people with a metal detector on the beach--I walk around, studying the ground.

I never know where my perennials will end up in the spring--my plowman pushes dirt around when he plows. Like, this weekend I tried to find a wood stove that had been in one spot near the woods for at least 15 years. It wasn't there. You can't just pick up a wood stove & move it, but I bet you can move it with a plow. Can't wait until the snowbanks melt so I can find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment