Friday, March 12, 2010

wind farm 009


wind farm 009
Originally uploaded by woodsrun
In our house in Illinois one wall of the living room was almost all windows. My mother is a true romantic when it comes to things, as opposed to people (except for my father, who exists in her fantasy/mind). The other wall of the living room was a huge fireplace, stone. Stone fireplaces in the Midwest are made of sandstone or limestone. Maybe not limestone, since I think it disintegrates. Fireplaces here are completely different--they're made of river stones, which are round. Midwestern fireplaces are made of square, brick-like, parallel pieces of stone.

The fireplace was massive. It had no mantle, but there was a ledge in front of it for you to sit on. When my mother came home from work (she was a public school teacher, and with her work ethic she was exhausted by the end of the day) my father would get her a glass of dry sherry and she would sit in front of the fire, feet up on the ledge, sipping it before making dinner. I like remembering that part of our midwestern life. We also had time like that when we got home from church: my mother reading the Sunday papers while she sat there sipping her sherry. We subscribed to 3 papers: 2 Rockford papers and one Chicago paper. My father was an avid reader who enjoyed knowing what was going on. I attribute this to his having grown up in a small town (which is now MY small town), where everyone knew everything about their neighbors and the surrounding communities.

My mother put a bed next to the windows--we used it as a couch. I think she didn't want a couch there because the back of the couch would block the view. One of her favorite things was "blue snow." There's a time in the evening when the snow is a very pretty blue. I see it a lot, and mostly think of my mother when I notice it. I must be romantic and sentimental, like my mother.

Take away the mountains in the background and this could be northern IL.

No comments:

Post a Comment