Friday, May 14, 2010

hords 021


hords 021
Originally uploaded by woodsrun
This is a very romantic Rogers shot. The small red cabin is called Dockside, even though that's no longer where we put the dock in. It's small and wonderful to sleep in, plus there's a great screened in porch right at water's edge. I used to stay there often, before we had the boat house rebuilt into the manse it is now.

Where we were kids the dock was wooden, put in and taken out by Eugene. He worked for my grandfather, but also pretty much for the family. He smelled deiciously like sweat and Lestoil. It was a lot of work to put it in, but it was always there when we arrived, just as if it had spent the winter there.

There was a light at the end of the dock, and a diving board that was a single, wide plank with plenty of spring. I don't know why the board never broke, we bounced on it a lot. In later years there was an ell on the dock where we put canoes, ready and waiting, upside down.

This is where I learned how to swim. The boyfriend of one of my cousins (we all hoped she'd married him, but she picked someone really worse) taught me. I was, maybe 6 or 7. One of the greatest achievements I remember, and I was so pleased when he worked with me.

The boat house is just around the point at the end of the shoreline.

No comments:

Post a Comment