Wednesday, May 12, 2010

It started out nicely

I had a great early morning--up at 5:30 or so, long walk with the dogs, birds just singing and singing in the woods. My only complaint was that I couldn't identify more songs. There's not much that cheers me more than the sights and sounds of my dogs on the boardwalk in the bog. Well, OK, that's an exaggeration, there are plenty of things that cheer me. But at home, in my arena, that's one of my greatest pleasures. We walked a little way up the trial that extends beyond the end of the b'walk. I like to do that, it lets me think good things, making up stories about what I see along the trail. Mostly the things are pretty juvenile and would make mediocre children's books.



Everything fell apart, though, when I saw my doctor this morning. He and I have a good relationship, we understand each other and laugh together. I'm exercising like crazy and not losing weight. There are a couple of factors at play, but I'm now in an "at risk" group because of my cholesterol and family history. poopie butt. He gave me very precise instructions and will see me in 3 months to see how well I followed his mandate. After that I went to the car and cried. Being at risk makes me think of my father and my brother, both of whom were so at risk that they died. It's not that I'm afraid to die, it's just too discouraging and depressing for me. Oh well--chin up, as my father would say.


Last night I participated in a phone bank for an organization my friend Martha works for. I'd never done a phone bank before, just have made those icky calls asking for money. Once I worked with a friend who worked in a hospital library. It was a fundraiser & I sort of went because the food was good. Anyway, it was for a women's hospital so we were supposed to say "Remember what good care we took of you when you had your baby (your name here) recently?" What a sleazy approach.



Anyway, last night I sat at a phone & waited for it to beep. On the computer screen were all the details of the person we called. Automatic dialing, just like those really obnoxious telemarketing calls you get. Plus it was at dinner time so again, it was sort of sucky. Anyway, we were calling people to ask for support for a piece of legislation, telling them how their state senators felt about it. Mostly my people hung up, but I had a few good calls. One woman let me blather on and, at the end, said she knew all about it because she's an OB/GYN. Well thanks a bunch, I sound like an idiot anyway. Another time it was a person with an unpronounceable Greek name. I had to say, "Hello, is .... Spanikoliotias there? I hadn't a clue how to say the name, luckily the person didn't seem to speak any language and hung up.



My daffodils are putting on quite a show this year. The early ones have gone by and there's a riot of new cheer. WHEW! My computer just froze, threw me to the wind, and I had to shut down & turn it back on. Good old blog., though, it kept my post.

So I'd better quit before I lose more than just my post.

No comments:

Post a Comment