Tuesday, May 25, 2010

laurel 004


laurel 004
Originally uploaded by woodsrun
Sheep laurel in bloom in the bog. I think it's called sheep laurel because it's poisonous to sheep. So why wouldn't it be called "sheepless laurel?" Anyway, it's one of the signs of late spring, along with the Labrador tea blossoms.

I'm trying to look up, skyward, when I walk the bog. Usually I stare at the ground, which often leads me to think deep, dark thoughts. That's not why I walk there, I do it for the exercise and to appreciate & notice what's there. So I'm looking up, losing my fear of tripping on the boards. It's great, a whole different view of the bog.

Summer's getting here, zipping right along. So far, 3 dinner invitations--one last night, one for Friday and one for Saturday. And it's only Memorial Day. Linda arrives this week & friends with a camp down the shore are coming too. My cousin and her 2 great kids are coming.. Whew! Population explosion. It's always busy Mem.Day weekend, then quiet during June. Bugs are bad in June. Sometimes.

I mowed my lawn on Saturday, the maiden voyage of my new mower. Poor thing, the grass was way too tall and it stalled a bunch of times. Sort of like taking a brand new car through 4' of snow.

Tonight I'm going to a friend's house to dig up perennials. She has a bunch that grow really well and need thinning. It's hot, very hot, so I'll burn energy digging and sweating. This year I'm planting a bunch of perennials. I bought some and have planted pretty much all of them. Quite an accomplishment. I also planted a stick from beach roses in RI. I'm not optimistic about ending up with a huge patch of roses--so not optimistic that I can't even remember where I planted it. I've made drawings to remember where the rest of the plants are. yikes--so conscientious! and organized! What's happened to me?

No comments:

Post a Comment