Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Where have I been?

I haven't blogged in a long time, obviously.  I've been sending long letters to my mother, which seems to leave me all written out.  She likes getting mail (who doesn't, probably) so I try to send her a long chatty letter every week.  Not hard for me to be chatty, but I don't like repeating myself in a blog or email, so my mother usually gets the best efforts.  She's doing well, enjoying the season pretty much but tired of the rain.  She doesn't complain, just comments.  She, like me, has a bunch of little plantlets to put in the ground.  Most of my flowers have been planted and are doing all right.  I never planted the marigolds, which were free seeds so I never felt too attached to them.  The cosmos acre is coming along nicely.  I'm soaking my morning glory seeds so I can plant them, maybe tonight.  My nasturtiums didn't do very well, quite a disappointment.  I'm hoping enough will survive and thrive so that I'll be able to pick flowers later on.  I like a small bouquet of nasties next to my bed.  It's a nice smell.

Work is going well, no big adventures.  Trip to Tupper Lake last week, which was a nice thing.  There's a rooster across the street from the library and it crows all day.  I like the sound but I can see that you might get tired of it.  My mother told me that we had chickens in Turkey and that our rooster crowed so much the neighbors got annoyed so we had to get rid of him.  Wonder how ...  We had finches, too.  My father always liked having birds.  He bred canaries at one point.  We had a male (orange) and female (brown--sparrow-like) who hatched 3 eggs.  One was orange and beautiful, one looked just like the female and the third was piebald, orange and brown, not attractive.  My sister and I each picked one of the pretty ones and played with the baby birds until they died.  We played them to death.  Anyway, the survivor turned out to be a male who lived for 11 years and sang beautifully.  He was in my sister's room for years but she got tired of him & he moved to my room.  I liked having him and was sad when he died.  We lived in 3 different places while we had him.

I've got the boat house pretty much opened up, but there's cleaning I need to get done.  I did sweep the floor, in prep. of book group.  There are a bunch of magazines, from many years, which I seem to leave there every year.  This will be the year I'll get rid of them.  I'll also wash the refridgerator and empty the garbage.  Tonight I'm picking up a comforter, king-sized, and some sheets.  Freecycle.  Let's see how groaty they are, but maybe they'll be ok to use in the b.house.

I've been pretty busy having a social life.  And it's just the beginning.  Some friends were up a couple of weekends ago and I saw them.  Joe & Martha are in residence and I stop there often.  Jim & Pat are around, of course, and I see them often.  Linda is here and I see her once in a while.  Fred is in residence and I try to see him often.  We've been out to dinner a couple of times--we bravely went to Big Daddy's restaurant in Clayburg.  It's quite an experience.  It's an old biker bar and the door to the restroom is heavy metal and all dented.  Lends an air of authenticity to the place, no?

I got a lot done during my May vacation.  Painted the windowsills in the living room, though the color wasn't what I'd hoped it would be.  It matched the chip perfectly, just looked different than I'd expected.  Brown.  They look better than before, when they were dirty white, but it's an odd color, I think.  I primed the kitchen cupboards/doors.  Now I have to pick out a color for them.  Some sort of gray-ish something.  Not the black I had intended, I know now that would make the room seem even smaller than it is.  Big goal is to paint the living room.  Now THERE'S a big goal.  How would I ever decide what color to paint it?  Something that goes with a strange shade of brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment