Thursday, September 22, 2011

Rainy September

It's raining now, lightly.  We've had nice weather, with some rain mixed in.  I don't mind the rain--it's always good for my water supply, and it is what it is.  I had some great sunny weekend days and got to sit on my deck reading with the dogs.  OK, the dogs don't read so much.  But I did.  Then I went inside and watched 127 hours (the film), which was vaguely interesting.  Later I watched No Country For Old Men, which was brutal but because I'd recorded it I could fast forward through the worst parts.  That's a good film, so well done.  But hard to watch.  What an evil force.

I haven't been up to much, just visiting with summer people and hanging out at home.  I did go out for dinner a few times--once with Joe & Martha & Pat, to a fancy place in Lake Placid, which was very nice.  This week I went to the Hungry Trout with Betty Rine and her recently widowed daughter-in-law.  It was a nice evening.  I empathize with both of them--Betty for the loss of her son and Debbie for the loss of her husband.  I still think divorce is harder than death, but that's only my opinion.  My spouse didn't die.  He did come visit me the other day, though, which stunned me.  He wanted to tell me he'd taken out the water at camp.  I love these relatives--they tell me what they've done AFTER they do it, rather than ask if I mind if they do it, or even tell me they're planning to do it.  Anyway, ex-husband stopped by my house, which he never does.  I don't know what's up with him, he's been very sociable lately.  I gave him one of the 2 pieces of furniture he's supposed to get according to the divorce, but kept the other piece--it's a nice dresser that I use.  It fits perfectly in the corner of my bedroom and I don't have another one like it.  Wonder if he minds...

Work is fine.  I went to a nice meeting on Monday, at the lakeside home of one of the directors.  It was a meeting of member library directors, and I like seeing these people.  The meeting lasted a long time, but it was pretty and the people were nice.  And the hostess has 2 dogs that behaved much as my dogs do when company comes.  Like, they sniffed & wagged and circled around the new arrivals.  Very sweet dogs.

Book group met at Linda's Sunday night, a nice time.  Good food, as always.  We're reading Justin Cronin's The passage, which is way different from anything I would read, but I've started it and it's ok.  Post-apocalyptic world.  Although we haven't had the apocalypse yet.  It's nicely written and Martha says it's really good.  It's huge, many, many pages and very heavy.

I'm trying to finish up the deleting of Upper Jay's barcodes from our automated system, but I can only stand to do it in batches of 100 and there are probably 4000 books that were destroyed by the storm.  So I plug along.  I'm making good progress.  I have to print out each batch so they can see what they lost, and total the deletes for the insurance company.  What a mess.  They lost their entire Adirondack collection, which is really tough.  Easy to replace things that are in print, but what to do about those that are out of print?

It's painfully obvious that I have no news.  I'm just plugging along, enjoying the weather.  I love September and May, when the world changes every day.  The soft maples are starting to turn orange and red.  And they're moving along quickly, since we had some cold nights.

No comments:

Post a Comment