Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Early report

It's a bit early in the week to be reporting, but I had a busy weekend and will be out tomorrow afternoon, then doing a Google demo on Friday.  Besides, I'm taking a break from deleting OCLC holdings of large print books we've discarded.  I have a masters degree for this?

It was a really good weekend.  The weather was wonderful, sunny and warm, warming up the colors in the woods.  The color isn't too great this year, definitely muted, but there are yellows and golds and they do that thing that they do where there's a glow in the woods even when the sun isn't shining on the trees.  A really nice effect.  We've lost leaves even since the weekend, and I guess we'll lose more in the next few days--rain predicted for the rest of our lives.

There were plenty of people in the neighborhood, enough so that I got totally peopled out.  Saturday night I had a cocktail party on the boat house porch, which was very nice.  Always is.  After that I went out to dinner with a bunch of people, to a nice restaurant with good food.  Sunday I got to spend time on my deck, reading, a lot.  Very nice.  In the evening was a party at the Holts', with 24 people.  I wasn't in the mood to socialize much, maybe I'm just ready for the season to end.  I visited with people I wanted to see, chatted with others, wanted to leave early but stayed a while anyway.  Monday I went out to breakfast with the Nadals, had a very nice time with them.  Then I stopped at Fred's to collect a few plants to winter over in my house.  Or kill in my house, whatever.  He doesn't care, it just seems a shame to let them die when maybe I can keep them alive and they'll look good in my house.  or not.  Monday night was drinks at Linda's, the last happy hour of the season.  That was nice, but again, I was ready to leave.  Last night I stopped at Linda's, picked up some food she's leaving behind, and we went to Pat & Jim's to deliver food to them as well.  Then I left, saying goodbye to Linda for the year.  It's hard to say goodbye, but it is time.  Hard to believe we won't see each other for a long time, but spring will come before we expect it to.  This morning I saw the Nadals while I was getting my coffee, and visited with them for a while.  They hope to come here this winter, planning to stay at my house.  Wow that's quite a project for me but it would be great.

And now we get on with the job of living our lives in Hawkeye.  Very nice, peaceful (except for hunters).  Dogs don't notice a difference, except maybe for the fact that I'm home more so they spend less time in their cage.  Me?  I notice a difference.  I don't have to go anywhere after work today.  I can be alone.  I may stop at the orchard that has a zillion kinds of apples & get some, I've pretty much finished the last batch I bought.

Tomorrow I head to Burlington for my mammogram.  A nice diversion.  Maybe I'll go to Gardener's Supply for Christmas presents, but then again I may just turn around & come home.

Friday I have to do a demo of Google searching.  I had such a hard time coming up with a subject to search!  Tried lots of things that were too easy, finally came up with the Atlas missile silos here in the Adirondacks.  Found a lot of interesting information about them.  Pretty scary, what was going on.  I've always attributed my lack of faith in the future to the Cold War, along with the farewells we bade to our grandfather at the end of each summer in the Adks.  "Good-bye Grampy, see you next year."  "If I'm still here."  I suppose, once you're in your 90's that's the way you think and talk, but for an impressionable lass it meant we might never see the future.  I spent a lot of my adult life feeling that way, but have finally overcome that pessimism.  I used to not plant bulbs in the fall because I had no faith that there would be spring.  Now I don't plant them because I have so many that I have no more places to put them.  Mostly daffodils, but I have some perennial plants too.  I like thinking about the future.  But am hesitant to think too much about 3 years going by.  That would mean I might be able to RETIRE.  It's an interesting thing, to be my age and want to get older so I can retire, but hate getting older and being 60.  Only 59 this year, 60 is 12/12/12.

No comments:

Post a Comment