Monday, October 31, 2011

Moving along

Things are going all right.  Chances is improving, now takes about 3 steps before losing her balance & falling down.  This is a huge improvement, but isn't enough.  She's gotten way better in the last week, and goes to the vet tonight for her follow-up.  Don't know what the vet will say, but I'm figuring to bring her home after the appointment, giving her more time to heal.  She's doing really well, her desire to walk is powerful.  She moves really quickly, walks on her hind knees if I don't grab her hind end quickly enough.  She can really motor and seems very cheerful.  I don't know how much better she'll get, but I'm willing to wait a while.

I closed the boat house yesterday, finally.  It wouldn't be right if I weren't wearing a down vest--I don't think I've closed it in recent years much before November 1.  So I was early this year.  It was very pretty and not terribly cold.  It doesn't take much time to close (if you do it the way I do), just strip the beds, take the towels home, take the garbage home, empty the fridge, move furniture in off the porch., shut off the power & lock up.  Bingo, all done.  I sat in the sun a while, drank a bit of Wild Turkey and enjoyed the scenery.  It was incredibly peaceful.  Even Tess lay in the sun with me.

I visited a friend in Burlington last week, she's there for chemo for her second case of leukemia.  This is very sad and difficult.  She's in good shape so far but has just started her chemo.  She's very discouraged at having it again, after 8 years.  My trip was not particularly interesting, I just took the ferry, drove to the hospital, visited Betsy, then came home.  No, no shopping or anything interesting.  I was tired when I got home, around 8.

Had a good weekend, all told.  Saturday I came into town for lunch with Fred and my friend Donna.  We last saw each other last November, so it was a nice reunion.  We visited for a couple of hours, I bought some flowers for Pat's birthday, got some birdseed, then went home.  I stopped to see Pat (her birthday) for a bit, then on home to set up the bird feeders.  Only blue jays so far.  I don't know how they figure out so quickly that there's food in the feeder, but there they were.

I took some stuff in off the deck, getting ready for winter.  The dirt in the pots was frozen, though, so I have to keep them in the living room for a few days to thaw out before I can dump them.  I wouldn't know how to do it any other way.  I should have emptied the wood stove but I kept it going all day Sat., then it was still hot yesterday.  So I put that off.  Lazy.

I resurrected a blanket I started knitting a few years ago, had the urge to knit.  Everyone should have a project like that, something that's simple but pretty and can go on forever.  And when it's a blanket, you keep yourself warm while knitting.  Kitty likes to sit on my lap when it gets cold, which complicates the knitting process.

I watched the Martin Scorsese documentary on George Harrison, which was excellent.  The Beatles were amazing, and it was fun to see the decades of changes they went through.  How cute were those boys?

Back to work today.  Halloween.  Means nothing to me.  This year I bought no candy--I haven't had a trick or treater for more than 25 years, no reason to believe this year would be different.  I always buy candy and eat it before Halloween.  So no this year.  I still need to love the 5 pounds I gained during the summer.  I'm struggling but haven't put forth my full effort yet.  I keep putting it off.  Something comes up.  Like, now I'm stressed out because of my dog.  And Saturday I went out for lunch.  And this week, well, I have no excuses.  Back to cottage cheese and olives.  And pickles.  Lots of pickles.

Tomorrow I get to go to Saranac Lake to catalog stuff in the Adirondack Room there.  Always a treat.  I'm setting up a plan to visit or at least speak with all 30 member library directors in the next year.  Yikes, that's a lot of traveling and talking.  I need to find out what types of "special" collections they have.  This is a project near & dear to the director's heart, and I like visiting the libraries so it's a good mesh.

No comments:

Post a Comment