Friday, October 07, 2011

Week's end

It's Friday, 4:30.  I'm here until 5 and it's quiet.  I spent a lot of time today weeding the non-fiction (we're into the SATs and GREs right now, very boring), and more time deleting our holdings from the national database--huge numbers of large print have been discarded and SOMEONE has to delete the holdings from OCLC.  That would be me.  I can do it for long stretches, but my back hurts after a while.  I like it when it's something hard to find and I have to rely on my searching skills to find the record. 

I have to do a presentation on Google next week.  I need a good subject search to demonstrate.  I just found out that Google was named in error--it was supposed to be Googol, but was misspelled.  Just a nugget of information there.

It's Columbus Day weekend and all hell will break loose at Silver Lake.  Then Monday afternoon a hush will fall over the land, when everyone leaves.  Linda is leaving on Weds., and she's pretty much the last to go.  There are a lot of friends here for the weekend (none staying with me--I think I only have friends who have their own homes here) so it will be busy.  And beautiful.  I'm hoping to get to work on the boat house, get it ready to close.  And spend some time reading in the sun.  On the big rock next to the boat house.  And on my deck at home.  And spend time stacking the stoopid wood.  I guess I'm having a cocktail party at the boat house some day this weekend, not sure when.  Linda and I are hosting, at a time that's convenient for the largest number of people.  Whenever that will be.  I'm flexible.

I went to Essex yesterday to visit the library there.  There's a new director and he's all hot to do stuff like interlibrary loan.  Something not normally done in that library, so this is pretty exciting.  I spent time with him and looked over the book collection.  Which is a big mess and in need of weeding.  Which I will return to do in October.  I've also scheduled a weeding trip to Wilmington in 2 weeks, I think.  I think it's in 2 weeks.  I KNOW I've scheduled the visit.  For a Weds., so I can hit the thrift store on my way to the library.  Because, yes, of course I need MORE STUFF.

Have to feed Julie's fish now, she's in Canada for the long weekend.  I only have one goldfish left here at work.  Yes, I can even kill goldfish.  I have a knack for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment