Friday, May 25, 2012

Friday missive

I've switched from my email Friday missive to my blog.  I know there are already plenty of people who read the blog--this will include a different audience, so the focus of the blog may shift a bit.  What does it matter?  It is what it is.

Had a good weekend last weekend, very nice time.  Beautiful weather, sunny and 70's, a bit warmer on Sunday.  I got a few things done around the house on Sat., Sunday I spent time with Lin and her son Jay.  We went to Lamoy's because they were having a sale, so I felt obligated to buy more plants.  I haven't spent as much money as in some years, though I have to declare myself DONE with buying plants.  Got some nice geraniums at Campbell's on Saturday (with Lin).  Funny place.  I bought nice, big geraniums for my father and brother, got the elders smaller ones, but everyone will get something for sure.  Maybe this weekend I'll get into town to do the planting.  It sure would be a nice change to do it before the black flies come out.

Monday I went to the dermatologist in Burlington, which was a nice trip.  Not the part about being at the doctor's, but the ferry ride was pretty--sparkling water.  Not as rough as Silver Lake was that day.  I went to Barnes & Noble--who can resist a bookstore?  Bought some used books and a new jigsaw puzzle for Annie.  The last one I got her is a cruel one, so this one is easier and prettier.  I'll see them this weekend, they're coming tonight.

Sunday Ravi mowed my lawn & cut up the tree that was blocking the bottom of the driveway.  He's a good worker.  Fred knows I pay him too much, but he's a friend and hard-working college student.

Fred and I had dinner at Big Daddy's one night (liver for him).  We got there very early so got to watch all the arrivals.  The diner is doing quite well and seems to have established itself as the neighborhood eatery.  Good news.  It's not a great place but if you know what to expect you'll be pleased.  We had a good time reviewing the other diners.  Don't wear white pants. 

Yesterday I went to the annual meeting of our regional library system, held at the Mirror Lake Inn.  It was very nice and I had a great time visiting with friends I've known for many years.  Two good speakers and a nice lunch.  I ate outside, which was wonderful because it was sunny, cool and just beautiful.  Clouded over later in the day, but never did rain.

I slept in the boat house last night--first time this year.  Treasure's introduction to summer routines.  She did better than I expected, slept through the night nicely.  She got wet, I don't know just how--I assume she fell in because she doesn't know she's supposed to be obsessed with water.  Tess swam, of course, but Chances didn't.  Chances swam at Linda's last weekend, which was really nice.  Swimming is good exercise for her and it's good to know she feels strong enough to swim.

Pretty sunrise, which I photographed, but the picture is too blurry to post.  I knew I should have taken more than one shot, but it was 5:00 and I was bleary-eyed.

I'm off for 5 days after today.  It's my annual pretend to clean the house time.  I used to divide the house into zones, trying to spend one day on each zone.  That stopped working about the 2nd year, so now I just make myself a long list of possible projects.  Nothing too challenging this year, but I would like to clear the master bedroom enough to walk through it, packing up old clothes and organizing the mess.  I also need to clear the upstairs hallway, in case Anna spends time at the house.  Or anyone else does.  I already painted my kitchen cupboards (white) which don't look very good right now, but at least I covered up the primer.  I have lots of planting to do (yes, Fred, in the English garden) and I hope to make a good dump run.  Today I'll drop off a huge garbage bag of bottles & cans for the Humane Society--I cleared the pantry floor last night so I can once again walk into the pantry.  Most impressive.

Dogs are fine.  Went to the vet on Monday night--they all have mange, or so we're guessing.  They each get 3 shots, 2 weeks apart.  So far not much scratching anymore.  Rats, I just realized I forgot to give Chances her prednisone.  Well, she's not scratching so maybe the cure has cured the itch.

Work is fine.  I'm still cleaning up the records from the bookmobile, which is a big project but will be good to have done.  I weed both fiction and non-fiction sporadically.  Next Thursday I go to Keene Valley to help her weed her adult non-fiction--again.  I'm lining up a trip to Lake Placid to help her weed her adult fiction.  And soon I go to Port Henry to evaluate her special collections.  I have a lot of traveling to do after that, need to get to all the libraries this year.

Cannot wait for the weekend!  I'll be staying at the boat house, though spending days at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment