Thursday, May 17, 2012

Nice spring day

It's a pretty day, nice and sunny.  Cool this morning but warming up.  Warm enough to put my plantlets out in the sun.  I have only cosmos and zinnias, and they're not growing very fast.  Cukes are just barely germinating--I need to plant my own because I grow Picklebush, which are bushy rather than viney, so do well in containers.  I'm not growing tomatoes this year--it's just too frustrating.  They start getting rip right around the time the dogs discover their location and eat them all.  They don't eat cukes on the vine, though--too prickly.

Had a good weekend, very nice time.  Saturday was a banner day, perfect weather, sunny and clear.  Lin and I met in Saranac and drove to the Subaru place near Lyon Mountain.  Frank's.  He didn't have a Subaru for Anna, but he's expecting a good Camry in trade this week.  It was supposed to come in on Tuesday but hasn't arrived yet.  I'm really hoping this one works out, it sounds like a really good vehicle.  But if not, then not.  There are cars available for $5000, you just have to be careful which one you get.

After car shopping we went to Lamoy's for plants.  I bought some flowers, mostly petunias because they didn't have much else that I wanted.  Though they have 9 greenhouses full of plants.  You'd think I could find something, wouldn't you?  I went back this week for more stuff, and to get some herbs for Linda, and bought more petunias.  No one seems to have white flowers, which is what I'm in need of.  I went to another place and they had cheaper geraniums but no white flowers.  Except for petunias.  And I have plenty of those.  I'll stop at another place tonight on my way home, maybe they'll have cheaper geraniums for the cemetery.

It was a beautiful trip to Frank's, such a clear day the view of Vermont & the High Peaks was fantastic.  Chazy Lake was blue and looked very cold.  Which it is.

Saturday night I had dinner with Annie, who came for the weekend sans Rush.  We had a nice visit.  She came by Sunday morning to cut up a tree but the saw wouldn't start.  So she borrowed my mower instead & got her lawn cut.  Mine was cut on Saturday by Ravi, my friend's son who's been mowing for me for a few years.  This is the last year for him, we think, because he graduates from college next year and hopes to have a real job.  He likes my dogs and always lets them out, but apparently Treasure didn't cotton to him--he reported that she was nervous around him.  She's pretty protective of her home.

Sunday my cousin Elsa stopped by--she & her son were here for the weekend to open their camp (which is next door to the family camp).  I had dinner with them Sun. night, a very nice time in main camp (no power at their camp).  They're both fine.  Ben just graduated from college (engineering--which is something I will never understand.  Engineering, not Ben I mean) and has a good job in Mass., an apartment near the ocean so he's really happy.

I talked to my mother on Sunday--Saturday's call was short because she was getting ready for their violet dinner.  Every year they have a dinner party when the violets are in bloom.  They've both been collecting dishes with violets on them for years now, and Mark has a tablecloth with violets on it, so they do it up big.  They gave up on trying to serve purple food a long time ago.  Anyway, Liza reported that the dinner was a big success and all was beautiful, though there weren't many violets this year.

My daffodils were peak over the weekend, are now starting to look a bit skanky.  I had a lot of what I had, though fewer varieties than I usually have.  I'll get more to plant in the fall.  I cut down tons of blackberry bushes, which have taken over too many parts of my yard and gardens.  I'll spray them when new leaves appear--the hell with the planet, I want my yard back.  What an attitude!

Dogs are fine.  Chances is quite deaf but seems cheerful.  Treasure has been eating a lot of sunflower seed--there's something, like maybe a raccoon which keeps opening up my seed bin and tipping it over.  Treasure walks right into the bin and chomps away.  Tess is more ladylike but eats her share.  I'll have to stop feeding the birds.  I don't usually feed them in the summer anyway, I was just doing it so I could see pretty yellow goldfinches.  Which I have been seeing.

Kitty is fine, has recovered from whatever ailed her.  She was lethargic and wasn't eating, would only lie down in a strange spot in the master bedroom.  Now she's just fine, eating like a champ and going outside.  She brought in a half-dead mouse one night, which Tess grabbed and ate.  Then she brought in a dead mouse, which Treasure grabbed and carried around, with the tail hanging out of the front of her mouth.  Which was cute but disgusting.  Treasure eats like a real champ, is a hogger pig and would eat herself to death if she ever had a chance.

Work is fine.  I'm cleaning up the data base big time, getting rid of records for things we no longer have.  There were 1500 bookmobile books, most of which are long gone, so I'm working on them.

Sent a check to Illinois for my June trip--there will be 17 of us women gathering in Lake Geneva for a long weekend.  I'm looking forward to it, this is always a great time with nice people.  We're supposed to come up with something notable about ourselves and what's been happening to us for the last 40 years.  I'm having a real problem with that--turns out I've done nothing very remarkable, nor has my life been filled with exciting experiences.  hmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment