Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Rainy and cool

Not a whole lot to report.  It's been raining for the past couple of days, and has been cold at night.  I've had fires every night, just to get the house up to 60 degrees.  Brrrr.  But I refuse to turn the heat back on so there I go.  I had a friend who rented groaty apartments near Plattsburgh and she would turn the heat on in October and off in May, regardless of the weather.  What a turd.  I have no objection to turning on the heat, I just think I can get by with a fire now.  Which I can.

Had a good weekend, walked the bog on Saturday in the snow, then walked to Gray's on Sunday in spring sun.  My daffodils are finally starting to bloom and it looks as if I'll have a lot of blossoms, though not as many as usual.

Didn't see anyone all weekend, except for the people where I bought my paper.  Talked to my mother both days and my sister on Sunday.  I used to spend an entire weekend day without speaking to or seeing anyone.  And it never bothered me--still doesn't, though I find myself craving conversation when I get up in the morning.  Dogs don't converse but they sure do appreciate any attention I pay to them.

Quiet week at work.  No travels, no meetings until Friday morning.  Then we have a big meeting with member library staff, plus staff lunch (Mexican theme) and plant swap.  I'm not sure I'll have any plants to swap--nothing much is up yet at my house.  Guess I'll have to go poking around the dirt one night just to make sure.

My mother is fine, as is my sister.  My sister's news is that her son is coming to America, which is big news indeed.  He hasn't been here for (she says) 10 years.  The last time I saw Enrico he was a cute little thing who liked Subway meatball subs.  He's a man now, so it will be great to get to know him this summer.  He'll be in the States for a couple of weeks so I'll get to spend time with him I'm sure.  And his sister comes July 4th for an extended visit here, plus trips to RI and Niagara Falls.  If you were coming to the Northeast from Europe, what would you want to see (omitting NYC and Boston as places you've already been)?  Interesting that they chose Niagara Falls, but it is an impressive sight.  I'm told the Canadian side is better than the American side--I've only seen the American side and that was amazing.  So much water!

Did stop to see P&J on Monday night, and their son Jon & wife stopped by then too.  Very festive evening.  I didn't stay long, went home pretty early.  It won't be long before summer people arrive--the first ones come in less than 2 weeks.  Hard to believe it's May!  At work time seems to creep so slowly we swear the clock has stopped, but then the weeks go by really quickly.  Go figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment