Friday, May 11, 2012

Sunny Friday

And it's a beautiful day in the Adirondacks.  I spent the morning in Essex with other staff members, barcoding their fiction collections.  We zipped right through it, only took half the day so now I'm back at work.  I'd hoped to go home from Essex, but there is stuff I need to attend to here in Pbg.  Like catching up with my blog.

It's been a good week.  Had a nice weekend, kept to myself mostly and enjoyed walking with the tribe.  Kitty walked the bog with us on Sunday, something she sometimes does.  Chances is doing very well, now goes up the deck stairs unaided.  This morning I walked to camp with the dogs, to open the gate for cousins who are coming/are here to put in the docks.  YIPPEE!!  Having the docks in is great because it means I can kayak more easily.  As if I actually DID that.  Well, this year I hope to.  Also it's great to have docks in because Sunday of Memorial Day weekend is Book Group Perch Fishing Derby, and oh how much easier it will be to get in boats if there's a dock or two. 

I spent most of the weekend reading in the sun, which is truly one of my favorite things to do.  I have an appointment soon with a dermatologist to have a full body check for melanoma done.  Imagine how tacky it will be to show up there with tan lines.  I can't help it, I just enjoy the sun.  I love sitting on my deck with the dogs & cat hanging around, and I love sitting on the dock on a calm sunny day.  Or even if there's a little wind.  But mostly when it's calm.  Although then you can hear conversations from all over the lake.

Went to Keene Valley on Weds., had a great time there weeding the non-fiction.  The director and I are good friends and enjoy each other's company a lot.  Only worked there until noon, then came to work.

I had lunch with my good friend Barb yesterday.  Or pretended to have lunch.  There's a good restaurant across from the library, but they're notorious for the incredibly poor service.  You always have to wait a long time for your food, no matter what else is going on in the place.  Yesterday they had a party of 6 that just stopped them cold, so we waited 50 minutes for our food before asking for take out.  So Barb & I had a nice visit but left hungry.  I ate my salad later in the afternoon.  And maybe we won't go back there for a long time.

The weather's been cold and warm, sunny and rainy.  This morning it was 35 at home, and the house was 55.  I had a fire the other night, well, 2 nights, I finally realized I don't need to be chilled, I have plenty of firewood and it only takes a minute to start a fire. 

I think I have a raccoon visiting the house.  I keep the birdseed in a garbage can with the lid on tight, and something keeps prying the lid off & tipping the can over.  The other day I saw something waddling into the woods--I thought it was a big bird, but in hindsight it was probably a nasty raccoon.  I hate raccoons, although they are fascinating animals.  We had chickens in the late 80s and raccoons killed nearly all of them.  I loved our chickens, and would love to have them again but it's too complicated.  Who would take care of them when I went away?  How would I ever manage to keep the coop raccoon and fox free?

Anyway, it's spring in Hawkeye.  Leaves on trees everywhere else, but we just have little nubbins of green.  That's all right, it's only early May.  As soon as we have leaves we have black flies, so I'm in no great hurry.  Besides, it's sooooo quiet in the woods before the leaves come out.

Annie is coming this weekend, so I'll spend time with her.  Hope she brings her chainsaw, I have a tree down across the driveway that needs attention.  Ravi is coming tomorrow to mow the lawn.  I promised to have the mower ready to run.  Well, I brought it up from the shed, which is the first step.  Next I have to gas it up & pull the cord a bunch of times.

Tomorrow morning I'm going to Lyon Mtn to check out some used Subarus with Lin.  I'm looking for a car for Anna.  I have some options already, which is comforting, but haven't found the perfect vehicle yet.  There's a great pick-up in the paper today but I don't think she wants a truck.  I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment