Friday, July 13, 2012

Busy week gone by

So the annual meeting of my family went well.  It was short, without much discussion and with no dissention.  One relative suggested we stop calling it a meeting and refer to it as a reunion.  That was a point my brother often made, but the truth is we have a meeting--motions, seconds, votes, committee reports, etc.  Oh well, it doesn't matter, people will think of it as a meeting no matter what we call it.

There weren't as many people as we sometimes have, but there were enough to make a crowd, maybe 25.  Lunch went off without a hitch.  Jenica and Anna were great and did a lot of the work.  And the people ate and ate and drank lots of beer.  It was a good day.  In the afternoon my cousin with a power boat took us all for rides while towing his kids and his brothers' kids behind the boat.  It was nice to be out on the water--I used to spend a lot of time on the water but in recent years rarely get out.  There's no good reason for that, just inertia I think.

Anna has been great company and we've had a lot of fun together.  She visited with the cousins on Monday and part of Tuesday (getting to know them VERY well), and on Wednesday we went to Montreal.  I took the day off so we could hit the botanical garden, which was great.  It was hot and a lot of walking but we had fun identifying the plants and trees.  Not much was in bloom--roses gone by and lilies blooming, plus all the water plants were blooming.  Lots of lotus blossoms, which were very pretty, and some red and pink water lilies, which are relatively rare.  We got hot in the sun but had a good time anyway.

After the garden we went to a huge mall in the city, in search of a bookstore for Anna.  We found one, way at the end of a twisty turny mall.  That was great, Anna needs maps for her upcoming trip across Canada, and we found maps plus an atlas.  That was a relief.  Anna did a lot of the driving, which was funny for me.  I'm not used to being a passenger in my car, but she's a good driver and showed off her acumen in the city.  The trips I've made to Montreal in the past weeks have been easy and fun, which was something I hadn't envisioned.  Maybe I'll find Ikea sometime...

I'm only working part of the day today--then am heading home, then Anna & I + dogs will drive to Rhode Island.  We'll spend tonight, tomorrow & Sunday at Liza's, then will drive to the Boston airport Sunday night to pick up Anna's brother Enrico & return to the lake.  Whew, complicated arrangements, but it will be good.  It's supposed to be hot in RI, so we may need a trip to the beach.

I still have 3 dogs, but keep thinking serioiusly about Chances' future.  I'd like to make a decision, then act on that decision, but I'm spinning my wheels on this.  She's not in great shape but wags her tail and gets around OK.  She wants to be with me all the time--I'm sure I'm her guide/service dog.  She's a sweetie but her time may have come to an end.  It would be good if I stopped talking & writing about it and actually DID something.

Work is going well.  I got to spend a day in Port Henry this week, which was really nice.  I'm working with the local history collections of our libraries, cataloging stuff there.  It's interesting and fun, and it's always good to get out to the libraries.

My co-worker is off next week, so I'll be hustling.  Enrico and Anna will be here, but also plan a trip to Niagara Falls during the week.  I'm looking forward to my vacation, which is coming up in 2 weeks.  Wow, cannot believe it's only 2 weeks away.

I've been spending time with Anna and haven't seen many friends since she got here.  A brief visit with Pat & Jim, a quick trip to Joe & Martha's, one visit with Linda.  Mostly we sit on the porches at camp and the boat house and visit.  We had a good visit with Jenica and Justin last weekend, spent a whole day on the dock in the sun.  That was really nice.  Dogs liked it, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment